Old April 22nd 04, 07:31 PM
Robert Maxwell

Default Korchnoi defection: who were the 32 grandmasters ?

Hello,

When Korchnoi defected in 1976, an article by Anatoly Karpov was published
in Sakhmati v SSSR strongly condemning this defection. Next to it were
the signatures of 32 grandmasters. I know that Bronstein, Spassky and
Botvinnik did not sign this letter (Botvinnik not signing it because here
never signed any collective letter as a principle), but who knows the
names of the 32 grandmasters who signed it ?
Old April 22nd 04, 08:26 PM
Alan OBrien

"Robert Maxwell" wrote in message
Hello,

When Korchnoi defected in 1976, an article by Anatoly Karpov was published
in Sakhmati v SSSR strongly condemning this defection. Next to it were
the signatures of 32 grandmasters. I know that Bronstein, Spassky and
Botvinnik did not sign this letter (Botvinnik not signing it because here
never signed any collective letter as a principle), but who knows the
names of the 32 grandmasters who signed it ?

Listen... and this is really important.
Education was bad in Russia. Their idea of the west was weird.

Outside of chess Kortschnoi is not a genius - he is Archie Brunker.

Old April 22nd 04, 10:00 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Mr. O'Brien,

Heil Dubya!

I wonder how well you know GM Kortschnoi. I do not know him at all well, but
have been arbiter and photojournalist at tournaments in which he has played.
GM Kortschnoi is FAR from an Archie Bunker. Education in the USSR was far
superior to education in the USA, anyway. [Public education practically
ANYWHERE is (far) superior to that in the USA.]

I disagree with him on (too?) many issues, but know he is sincere -- as Bunker,
by definition, couldn't be -- and that he grew up in the USSR during a terrible
time for ALL Soviet citizens. ("As the twig is bent ... ")

Kortschnoi is not a genius, but neither is Nader (and I would sooner spend an
evening with Nader or, better, Kucinich, than with Kortschnoi). So what in
either case?!? I am not a genius either and I doubt that you are. (What is a
genius?)

Listen... and this is really important.
Education was bad in Russia. Their idea of the west was weird.

Outside of chess Kortschnoi is not a genius - he is Archie Brunker.

(Much snipped.)

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan, Irak und Hati. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka ber Alles!

(The more information that comes out about the attacks on the Twin Towers and
the Pentagon of 11 September 2001 the more it appears that those attacks were
organized by the rulers of the United States and were intended to have the same
effect on the people of the United States that the Reichstag fire had on the
people of Germany in 1933.)

Fight terrorism! Dissolve the CIA and disarm the Pentagon! (I have been
watching the hearings of the Commission to investigate the attacks on the Twin
Towers and the Pentagon of 11 September 2001. As a result, I have become
convinced that every one of the witnesses and their four Presidents - and every
one of the Commissioners - should be tried for:
(1. Conspiracy to commit terrorism; and/or
(2. Commission of terrorist acts; and/or
(3. Conspiracy to commit murder; and/or
(4. Commission of murder; and/or
(5. Treason; and/or
(6. Suborning one or more of the above acts.)

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus
Old April 22nd 04, 10:51 PM
Parrthenon

Default Korchnoi defection: cable to Stalin!

I know that Bronstein, Spassky and
Botvinnik did not sign this letter (Botvinnik not signing it because here
never signed any collective letter as a principle), but who knows the names of
the 32 grandmasters who signed it? -- Robert Maxwell

For the cable that Botvinnik sent to Stalin after he tied for first with Capa
at Nottingham 1936 check out --

http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/Eng...9.php#solution

Old April 23rd 04, 03:06 AM
anhedonist

"Robert Maxwell" wrote in message
Hello,

When Korchnoi defected in 1976, an article by Anatoly Karpov was published
in Sakhmati v SSSR strongly condemning this defection. Next to it were
the signatures of 32 grandmasters. I know that Bronstein, Spassky and
Botvinnik did not sign this letter (Botvinnik not signing it because here
never signed any collective letter as a principle), but who knows the
names of the 32 grandmasters who signed it ?

It is irrelevant who signed it, as they were more than likely forced to do
so. No signature, no international chess competition...

Old April 23rd 04, 04:36 AM
EZoto

On 22 Apr 2004 18:31:13 GMT, Robert Maxwell wrote:

Probably no one will ever know. And even if they did it wouldn't
matter because a bunch of them were probably coerced into signing
anyway and if they were GM's in the first place.

EZoto