Old April 24th 04, 01:45 AM
Ray Gordon

Default When was Fischer no longer the strongest player?

I say 1988.

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

Old April 24th 04, 04:22 AM
John Fernandez

It's possible 1975 may be the correct answer.

John Fernandez
Old April 24th 04, 04:27 AM
Matt Nemmers

"John Fernandez" wrote in message
It's possible 1975 may be the correct answer.

John Fernandez

Yeah, I think ol' Karpov had him skerred.

Regards,

Matt

Old April 24th 04, 05:27 AM
NoMoreChess

..
When the match with Spassky ended in 1972, Fischer immediately lost the
status of "strongest player," due to the fact that he longer played.

It is unfortunate that one can lose such a "title" not only by being less
strong than another player, but also by not playing, and thereby failing to
actually *be* a player, yet it's a fact of life.

In 1992, Fischer again, for a very short while, became a player of chess.
But, as he demonstrated, he was no longer as strong as before. Hence, we must
look back to the last time Fischer "played," and was "the strongest." That
would be 1972.

Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

Why Hotties Choose Losers

Ray, I will be at the party at 9 o'clock. And don't worry, I am bringing
fourteen of my own hotties, who for some unexplainable reason chose me, over
you. BTW, there were at least a hundred more, but they flat-out refused to
leave Sam Sloan's side. I don't mind him geting more hotties than me, but my
ego is bruised on account of being "outclassed" when it comes to being a truly
great loser....

Old April 24th 04, 06:33 AM
Wayne Martin

"NoMoreChess" wrote in message

When the match with Spassky ended in 1972, Fischer immediately lost the
status of "strongest player," due to the fact that he longer played.

It is unfortunate that one can lose such a "title" not only by being less
strong than another player, but also by not playing, and thereby failing to
actually *be* a player, yet it's a fact of life.

In 1992, Fischer again, for a very short while, became a player of chess.
But, as he demonstrated, he was no longer as strong as before. Hence, we must
look back to the last time Fischer "played," and was "the strongest." That
would be 1972.

I've been wondering about this... is it possible, somehow mathematically, to
create a chart of Fischer's declining strength from 1972's rating to 1992? If
someone could devise a sound way of taking his performance against Spassky in
92, and his rating in 72, maybe there could be some sort of possible graph of
Fischer's strength in the years between?

Is this possible? I'm afraid math was never my strong suit so I have no idea.

Old April 24th 04, 08:01 AM
NoMoreChess

..
I've been wondering about this... is it possible, somehow mathematically, to
create a chart of Fischer's declining strength from 1972's rating to 1992? If
someone could devise a sound way of taking his performance against Spassky in
92, and his rating in 72, maybe there could be some sort of possible graph of
Fischer's strength in the years between?

Is this possible? I'm afraid math was never my strong suit so I have no idea.

One very simple way to do this would be to plot his actual rating (2780)
after the 1972 match on a graph, then mark his performance rating against
Spassky in 1992. Draw a straight line between these two points and presto, you
have a "sound" graph, although not necessarily one which truly reflects
reality.

More likely, Fischer declined more slowly at first, then somewhat faster as
he reached middleage. But there is no good way to verify this, as he had no
results inbetween.

I'm afraid those lunies who would like to believe Fischer somehow got much
better than his peak rating (of 2785) sometime after 1972, then declined to,
say, fifty points above his real performance rating in 1992, are deluded. It
is hard to accept that Spassky had declined so far, so fast, before he played
Fischer again, yet every other player in the entire world who played a rated
game with Spassky was measured against his *actual* rating, not an imagined one
like these lunies wish to use to artificially "boost" Fischer's 1992
performance past the low-to-mid 2600's, to fit their unreasonable expectations.

Imagine, just for a moment, if Fischer were a god. Even so, Thor was a god
-- and a pretty tough one at that -- yet even Thor, armed with his warhammer,
was unable to get the better of Old Age! :-)

(2780 in 1972)
*.................
*
(2625)
in 1992

Old April 24th 04, 04:31 PM
Liam Too

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message . ..
I say 1988.

I'd say around that time as well because he was still kicking GMs
donkeys in speed chess at his place in Pasadena.

Even in 1992, his inner circle believes that Fischer was still Fischer
up until the time when:

"in about late 1998 or early 1999 the U.S.government, Bob Ellsworth
and Bekins Moving and Storage company(Pasadena, California branch)
plundered all of Bobby Fischer's cash valuables and other belongings
(including his gold and silver coin collections) which Mr. Fischer had
kept in storage at the Pasadena, California branch of Bekins Moving
and Storage company for many years." -- as written in Fischer's
Website

It hurt him so much that it almost broke him. Then everything went
downhill...all hell broke loose...then the radio interviews ensued.
Old April 25th 04, 02:06 AM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear John,

Heil Dubya!

Are you a brave man for defying the Fischer idolaters? I'm not sure, because I
believe there are many fewer than there were a couple of years ago and because
they tend to keep lower profiles since his telphoned radio interviews.

Incidentally, I agree with your implication that Karpov had a reasonable chance
of winning in 1975. (I believe Karpov WOULD have won, because Fischer was so
afraid of losing.)

It's possible 1975 may be the correct answer.

John Fernandez

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan, Irak und Haďti. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka über Alles!

(The more information that comes out about the attacks on the Twin Towers and
the Pentagon of 11 September 2001 the more it appears that those attacks were
organized by the rulers of the United States and were intended to have the same
effect on the people of the United States that the Reichstag fire had on the
people of Germany in 1933.)

Fight terrorism! Dissolve the CIA and disarm the Pentagon! (I have been
watching the hearings of the Commission to investigate the attacks on the Twin
Towers and the Pentagon of 11 September 2001. As a result, I have become
convinced that every one of the witnesses and their four Presidents - and every
one of the Commissioners - should be tried for:
(1. Conspiracy to commit terrorism; and/or
(2. Commission of terrorist acts; and/or
(3. Conspiracy to commit murder; and/or
(4. Commission of murder; and/or
(5. Treason; and/or
(6. Suborning one or more of the above acts.)

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus
Old April 25th 04, 06:48 AM
byrne

Bobby Fischer is best chess player ever . If he has been playing now ( and
still plaing 1972 to 2004 ) , his elo rank would ahead 2900
Karpov has in 1975 rank 2700 , Fischer 2780
Regards,
byrne

Użytkownik "NoMoreChess" napisał w
wiadomo¶ci ...
.

Old April 25th 04, 07:32 AM
NoMoreChess

Default Shattered delusions

..
Bobby Fischer is best chess player ever . If he has been playing now ( and
still plaing 1972 to 2004 ) , his elo rank would ahead 2900
Karpov has in 1975 rank 2700 , Fischer 2780

Strange that you have completely ignored the only objective evidence of
Fischer's true strength, post-1972: his second match with Spassky, which
produced a performance rating in the realm of FIDE 2625 (not 2900+, as
mentioned above). Very strange in fact.

Karpov has in 1975 rank 2700 , Fischer 2780

Karpov had 2705, but Fischer's "2780" was only a carryover of his last
official rating, and not based upon any post-1972 results whatsoever. Hence, a
better "rating" for Fischer in 1975 would be "inactive," while Karpov's 2705
was based upon his actual, recent results. A 1975 FIDE ratings list might look
something like this:

Fischer 2780 (inactive)
1. Karpov 2705
2. Kortchnoi 2665