Old April 25th 04, 02:56 PM
HAASpittle

Default NFL Draft

Been watching the NFL draft. More interesting than rgcp.

Haas
Old April 26th 04, 12:50 PM
John Lamont

The chargers cleaned up..
Old April 26th 04, 02:40 PM
Matt Nemmers

"John Lamont" wrote in message
m...
The chargers cleaned up..

Well, they should've cleaned up since they got cleaned out last year.

Regards,

Matt

Old April 26th 04, 05:33 PM
Angelo DePalma

Watching water evaporate is more interesting than this group has been
lately.

Here's my read on Chargers/Giants/Manning.

There's a reason organizations like the Chargers and Giants are in the
semi-enviable position of choosing early in each round of the draft: They
suck. This is coming from a lifelong Giants fan, by the way. Unless a team
makes management changes (coach, GM, etc.) those early draft picks are a
waste. I feel sorry for Eli Manning. The Giants have no offensive line and a
lousy defense. Eli will spend three or four years here getting pounded, week
after week. He'll never have the opportunity here in the Meadowlands to show
how good he is (if he's good, that is).

Sure the Giants have Coughlin, but he won't work out either. Discipline
freaks are great coaches while they're winning. When things turn south
they're pathetic -- they lose the team faster than you can say "Fassel."

The Giants are a front-office dominated organization. Since I started
following them they've chased away three great coaches: Allie Sherman,
Parcells, and Dan Reeves. Each sacking was followed by years of mediocre
under-performing. (Yes I know they went to the Super Bowl under Fassel). How
someone like George Young could be more highly valued than Reeves and
Parcells is beyond me. The Maras never learn.

Angelo

Old April 26th 04, 11:07 PM
John Fernandez

Angelo DePalma wrote:

[...]

My read is easy: The Giants needed linemen.

John Fernandez

Old April 27th 04, 01:40 AM
HAASpittle

Dan Reeves is a great game day coach. He is not a good year long coach. From
the Giants he went to the Falcons, my team. He got them to the SB with players
assembled by June Jones, now the U of Hawaii coach. But Reeves soon began
disassembling the SB team and replaced them with his kind of stiffs. Down hill
went the Falcons. Reeves was always a poor judge of football talent. Couldn't
draft worth a crap. Stubborn, too. I'm glad he is gone from the Falcon org.

Haas
Old April 27th 04, 07:26 AM
Angelo DePalma

Right, Johnny. Imagine the cows they could have corralled by keeping
Collins, a B-B+ quarterback, and TWO first-round picks plus a THREE and a
FIVE. That's an entire offensive line, matey (minus the center).

Old April 27th 04, 07:29 AM
Angelo DePalma

Coaches are not GMs. In this day and age where coaches work 12 months a year
and 100 hours a week during the season, no owner should allow coaches to
make personnel decisions. Parcells' downfall will be his GMing. Reeve's
belief that he could pick cornerbacks is what killed the Falcons and his
career.

Old April 27th 04, 04:10 PM
Angelo DePalma

By the way, I think Dan Reeves is one of the best half-dozen coaches of the
last half century. I have never bought the "can't win the big one" knock on
him. When he was head coach in the NJ Swamplands the team played hard,
disciplined football every single week. To me it was a dream to have Reeves
on the sideline. I know Fassel had a better record here, but his teams were
as painful to watch as his buzzword-filled press conferences were to hear.
The implosion during the Minnesota playoff game was 100% coaching-related
and would never have happened under Reeves.

Like most great coaches, however, Reeves' ego sometimes gets the best of
him. His belief that he's a personnel man was unfortunate. It's what caused
his breakup with the Giants and as you pointed out ultimately ruined his
tenure in Atlanta.

Angelo

Old April 27th 04, 07:20 PM
John Fernandez

Right, Johnny. Imagine the cows they could have corralled by keeping
Collins, a B-B+ quarterback, and TWO first-round picks plus a THREE and a
FIVE. That's an entire offensive line, matey (minus the center).

B-B+? Roethlisberger is considered by some to have the most upside of anyone,
Manning included. Rivers aced his private workouts.

John Fernandez