Old December 24th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Euw'sChess Archives

The original Chess Archives (Dutch) was published prior to World War
II. It reported actual games. Harry Lyman, now deceased, showed me
copies which he personally owned.

The post-war Chess Archives, reported by Sam Sloan, was principally
devoted to openings analysis. When I attended the 1955 U.S. Junior
Championship (and it was NOT titled Closed Championship), John Rinaldo
related that there were Soviet commentaries secretly published in
response to Chess Archives. It later became known that this secret
publication was Shakhmatny Biulleten'.

Rinaldo, I believe, may have been among the players who associated
with Herman Steiner.
Old December 24th 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Euwe'sChess Archives

On Dec 23, 4:44*pm, David Ames wrote:
The original Chess Archives (Dutch) was published prior to World War
II. *It reported actual games. *Harry Lyman, now deceased, showed me
copies which he personally owned.

The post-war Chess Archives, reported by Sam Sloan, was principally
devoted to openings analysis. *When I attended the 1955 U.S. Junior
Championship (and it was NOT titled Closed Championship), John Rinaldo
related that there were Soviet *commentaries secretly published in
response to Chess Archives. *It later became known that this secret
publication was Shakhmatny Bulletin'.

Rinaldo, I believe, may have been among the players who associated
with Herman Steiner.

Thank you for this extremely useful information.

Someone has just offered to sell me a complete set after Christmas. I
hope it includes the material you mention here.

I think I started subscribing in about 1960 which is before the
earliest date of the issues I have reprinted here.