Old January 14th 13, 08:34 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

Default My Royal Origins

What fascinates me is the fact that I believe that almost everybody
who is originally of English origin with a family line going back to
1066 or earlier could prove, if the truth were known, to be descended
from British royalty.

When a politician runs for election over here they often trot our the
fact that they are descended from the British Royal Family, usually
King Edward I, who produced a lot of ******* kids.

They like to say that they are descended from Richard the Lion
Hearted, the good king, and never mention that they are actually
descended from King John, the bad king, even though King John produced
most of the children and therefore most of the royal lines.

Me? I prefer to say that I am descended from Lady Godiva, the true
British Royal.

Old January 14th 13, 10:36 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

samsloan wrote:
What fascinates me is the fact that I believe that almost everybody
who is originally of English origin with a family line going back to
1066 or earlier could prove, if the truth were known, to be descended
from British royalty.

Prove it.

--
Ian

The Hotmail address is my spam-bin. Real mail address is iang
at austonley org uk
Old January 14th 13, 10:45 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

On 14/01/2013 10:36, Ian Goddard wrote:
samsloan wrote:

Me? I prefer to say that I am descended from Lady Godiva, the true
British Royal.

Prove it.

Almost did prove that preference. :-)

Whether in any sense descended from her is another matter altogether.

--
Rod
Old January 14th 13, 03:40 PM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

samsloan wrote on 14 jan 2013 in soc.genealogy.britain:
What fascinates me is the fact that I believe

That you believe could be a fact, but why the fascination?

To all others it is just hearsay.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
Old January 14th 13, 08:15 PM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

On Jan 14, 8:34*am, samsloan wrote:
What fascinates me is the fact that I believe that almost everybody
who is originally of English origin with a family line going back to
1066 or earlier could prove, if the truth were known, to be descended
from British royalty.

I remember reading a paper some time ago that suggested, based on a
mixture of historical data and statistics, that (I think) about 1 in 3
people with mainly English ancestry were descended from Edward I. As
I recall, the paper estimated that a much higher proportion of English
people were descended from Hugh Capet, the 10th century French king.
Unfortunately I can't remember enough about the paper to locate it
now, and in any case, I really can't see what value such estimates
are. How would it affect me, even as someone interested in my family
history, whether there's a 1 in 10,000 chance I'm descended from
royalty or a 9,999 in 10,000 chance? Unless I can identify and
document that descent, it's meaningless speculation.

Richard

Old January 15th 13, 02:40 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

Having illustrious ancestors is, probably, very enhancing to one's
status outside of the USA. However, outside of the very highest levels
of society in the USA, having illustrious ancestors is extremely
frowned upon.
The USA is a very Orwellian, Authoritarian, and Machiavellian nation,
culture, and society. As such is the case, the more that you fit the
"Orwellian Pig" norm, the higher you status is.
Now, what about myself?
I belong to the National Society Sons of the American Revolution, the
National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, The Order of
Washington, the Sovereign Colonial Society Americans of Royal Descent,
the Plantagenet Society, the Somerset Chapter Magna Charta Barons, the
Descendants of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (the exact title may
be incorrect) and the Colonial Order of the Crown (Descendants of the
Emperor Charlemagne).
In Europe and outside of the USA, such credentials would probably be
very career enhancing. However, in the USA, mentioning the
aforementioned on your resume could result in your being "black
listed."
Old January 15th 13, 08:17 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

On 15/01/2013 02:40, Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Having illustrious ancestors is, probably, very enhancing to one's
status outside of the USA. However, outside of the very highest levels
of society in the USA, having illustrious ancestors is extremely
frowned upon.

Then why is it Americans who are principally obsessed with having Royal
ancestry?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old January 15th 13, 09:53 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

On Jan 15, 2:40*am, Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I belong to the National Society Sons of the American Revolution, the
National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, The Order of
Washington, the Sovereign Colonial Society Americans of Royal Descent,
the Plantagenet Society, the Somerset Chapter Magna Charta Barons, the
Descendants of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (the exact title may
be incorrect) and the Colonial Order of the Crown (Descendants of the
Emperor Charlemagne).
In Europe and outside of the USA, such credentials would probably be
very career enhancing.

Career enhancing? Seriously? If I encountered a CV that listed all
that, it would be filed with all the other green ink applications.

Richard
Old January 15th 13, 10:13 AM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
%
I belong to the National Society Sons of the American Revolution, the
National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, The Order of
Washington, the Sovereign Colonial Society Americans of Royal Descent,
the Plantagenet Society, the Somerset Chapter Magna Charta Barons, the
Descendants of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (the exact title may
be incorrect) and the Colonial Order of the Crown (Descendants of the
Emperor Charlemagne).
In Europe ... such credentials would probably be
very career enhancing.

And they used to say Americans don't do irony! You learn something
every day.

Old January 15th 13, 03:55 PM posted to soc.genealogy.medieval,rec.games.chess.politics,soc.genealogy.britain,soc.culture.usa,alt.talk.royalty

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 15/01/2013 02:40, Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Having illustrious ancestors is, probably, very enhancing to one's
status outside of the USA. However, outside of the very highest levels
of society in the USA, having illustrious ancestors is extremely
frowned upon.

Then why is it Americans who are principally obsessed with having Royal
ancestry?

Lets face it, Americans haven't got much else going for them.

--
Kathy