Old April 29th 04, 10:37 AM
Ray Gordon

Default ICC is killing USCF

No more need to travel great distances to find strong chess competition. It
used to be cost-effective to do this. Now two players can sit over the
board at home and get the same thrill as from tournament play.

The only players who suffer are those who made money at the game. Now the
writers and teachers will make out well while the players themselves, except
for the top ones, will starve.

The internet is sticking a fork in USCF.

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

Old April 29th 04, 10:44 AM
John Fernandez

Subject: ICC is killing USCF
From: "Ray Gordon"

It's not.

No more need to travel great distances to find strong chess competition.

USCF does not provide chess competition.

It
used to be cost-effective to do this. Now two players can sit over the
board at home and get the same thrill as from tournament play.

It's debatable.

The only players who suffer are those who made money at the game.

Not true.

Now the
writers and teachers will make out well

How, given the reduction of print media?

while the players themselves, except
for the top ones, will starve.

True for decades.

The internet is sticking a fork in USCF.

Nope.

Weaker chess clubs which had lacked cohesion, maybe.

John Fernandez
Old April 29th 04, 04:18 PM
Ray Gordon

From: "Ray Gordon"

It's not.

No more need to travel great distances to find strong chess competition.

USCF does not provide chess competition.

Sure it does. It sanctions it. ICC is an alternate sanctioning body now
that has left USCF totally in the dust everywhere but OTB. Players would
rather play by internet, as the demographics indicate.

It
used to be cost-effective to do this. Now two players can sit over the
board at home and get the same thrill as from tournament play.

It's debatable.

While you're debating, I and many others just play on ICC.

The only players who suffer are those who made money at the game.

Not true.

Says you.

Now the
writers and teachers will make out well

How, given the reduction of print media?

e-publishing.

while the players themselves, except
for the top ones, will starve.

True for decades.

Most of them have.

The internet is sticking a fork in USCF.

Nope.

Weaker chess clubs which had lacked cohesion, maybe.

Clubs whose players now play online.

Old April 29th 04, 04:48 PM
Mike Nolan

"Ray Gordon" writes:

Sure it does. It sanctions it. ICC is an alternate sanctioning body now
that has left USCF totally in the dust everywhere but OTB. Players would
rather play by internet, as the demographics indicate.

What demographics are those?
--
Mike Nolan
Old April 29th 04, 06:22 PM
bruno de baenst

Although I like playing on chess servers it hardly gives the same thrill as
otb tournaments when you see your oppenents sweating and suffering when you
make a brilliant move. And where you can have a drink with the friends.

Also although it surely is true that some people stop playing otb to only
play on the internet, I think there are much more who get to know chess by
playing it on the internet and then go play in a chess club.

"Ray Gordon" schreef in bericht

Old April 29th 04, 09:09 PM
Robert Maxwell

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:37:12 GMT, Ray Gordon wrote:
No more need to travel great distances to find strong chess competition. It
used to be cost-effective to do this. Now two players can sit over the
board at home and get the same thrill as from tournament play.

Welcome to the internet.

The only players who suffer are those who made money at the game. Now the
writers and teachers will make out well while the players themselves, except
for the top ones, will starve.

I am not sure to follow you:
- first, there is nobody who ever guaranteed anyone that you could play chess for
a living,
- second, there are money prizes for on-line chess tournaments, check the ACP events
or the Dos Hermanas ones

The internet is sticking a fork in USCF.

I don't know if this is true, but what matters as far as I am concerned is that more
people find opponents and enjoy playing chess, and chess servers provide exactly that.
Old April 29th 04, 09:09 PM
Angelo DePalma

If the Internet were killing OTB chess, then why did USCF membership hit an
all time high a few years ago, and why are we doing better (in terms of
numbers) among computer-literate kids than computer-illiterate old folks?

adp

news

Old April 29th 04, 09:59 PM
Mike Nolan

"Angelo DePalma" writes:

If the Internet were killing OTB chess, then why did USCF membership hit an
all time high a few years ago, and why are we doing better (in terms of
numbers) among computer-literate kids than computer-illiterate old folks?

Most scholastic players are part of in- or after-school chess programs.

They join USCF because the coach makes them join, they don't renew
because the chess club/program isn't continued the next school year,
they lose interest in the chess club, or they move from that building
to another, usually as a result of advancement from elementary school
to middle school.

Their computer skills have NOTHING to do with their becoming USCF
members. I don't know what percentage of online players are under 16
but I suspect it is much lower than the percentage of USCF members
who are under 16.
--
Mike Nolan
Old April 29th 04, 10:23 PM
StanB

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message

If the Internet were killing OTB chess, then why did USCF membership hit

an
all time high a few years ago, and why are we doing better (in terms of
numbers) among computer-literate kids than computer-illiterate old folks?

Did you ever notice how car dealers tend to build near one another? They
feed off one another. The more chess there is, the better for the USCF.
Granted, there was a market shakeout from the chess servers, but I think
that has now stabilized. This does not necessarily mean that the USCF will
automatically do better. No, I think it means that the USCF can do better.

StanB

Old April 29th 04, 10:33 PM
Ray Gordon

Sure it does. It sanctions it. ICC is an alternate sanctioning body now
that has left USCF totally in the dust everywhere but OTB. Players would
rather play by internet, as the demographics indicate.

What demographics are those?

Which entity is financially sounder and with a better future?