Old May 3rd 04, 04:38 AM

Default Should Kalev Pehme, the new editor of Chess Life, be fired for his remarks?

EDITOR, CHESS LIFE
USCF
3054 RT 9W
NEW WINDSOR, NY 12553

Sir,

With all due respect, I suggest that the USCF find a new editor for
CHESS LIFE. The present editor's statement in the April issue that
"Most of the males who play chess are nerds" is astounding in its
ignorance and lack of professional judgment.

Sincerely,

Stephan Gerzadowicz

I agree that the board would be justified in firing the new editor
of Chess Life, Kalev Pehme, for this comment. I had missed this
remark, which I just found on page 17 col. 3 of the April Chess Life.

I was a kid, just 11 years old, when I first joined the USCF in 1956
and the very first issue of either Chess Life or Chess Review that I
received, I cannot remember which, contained an article on how to
cheat at chess.

I was deeply disturbed and upset by that article, since I thought
that chess was an intellectual game where the best mind won. That
article could easily have caused me to give up chess.

I believe that almost all organizations would fire the editor of their
publication who made the sort of remark that Kalev Pehme made above
about their own members.

Sam Sloan
I am a candidate for Executive Board of the United States Chess
Federation
Old May 3rd 04, 04:51 AM
Matt Nemmers

Default Calling a spade a spade

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

"Most of the males who play chess are nerds"

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

Regards,

Matt

Old May 3rd 04, 12:22 PM
Chess One

Sam. We should make it clear that Mr G did not call for the removal of the
editor, but the removal of the editor's attitude [which I assume is
reasonably flexible].

Stephan Gerzadowicz has written several chess books - all
unfortunately small imprints, and I think no longer in print from the
Thinker's Press - but these are the most entertaining, novel and honest
chess books I have ever read. He is a corres. master player of about 24xx
playing strength. I particularly liked "Journal of a Chess Master."

CL would be vastly improved if "Mr. G" was offered a column, or indeed, the
whole magazine! Since his attitude is as you see it above, firmly based in
respect for the game and a very human appreciation of what its like to play
it.

Of all chess books over the past 30 years, Mr G has probably written the
most consistently self-deprecating and genuinely funny material combined
with an astute analysis for the serious player. He is also famous for
quoting everything and everyone.

Cordially, Phil Innes

"Perjuria ridet amantum Juppiter" [Tibullus]

Old May 3rd 04, 01:32 PM

On Mon, 03 May 2004 03:51:11 GMT, "Matt Nemmers"
wrote:

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

"Most of the males who play chess are nerds"

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

Regards,

Matt

I wish to point out that I did not write that. That is a statement by
Kalev Pehme published in the April Chess Life, page 17 col. 3, which I
am disputing.

I find equally objectional his statement about the female chess
players on the same page which said in full:

"Let's face reality. Most of the males who play chess are nerds. But
the females aren't. There is something remarkable about their
presence. They are cool, often slinky, hip, and they play chess."

I have never seen Kalev Pehme at a chess tournament and I wonder on
what basis he makes these statements.

Remember that Kalev Pehme is not a private person making these
statements. He is the editor of the official organ of the United State
Chess Federation.

Old May 3rd 04, 03:02 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

Default Should Kalev Pehme, the new editor of Chess Life, be fired for his remarks? Not if he is right.

In article , Sam Sloan says...

EDITOR, CHESS LIFE
USCF
3054 RT 9W
NEW WINDSOR, NY 12553

Sir,

With all due respect, I suggest that the USCF find a new editor for
CHESS LIFE. The present editor's statement in the April issue that
"Most of the males who play chess are nerds" is astounding in its
ignorance and lack of professional judgment.

Sincerely,

Stephan Gerzadowicz

I agree that the board would be justified in firing the new editor
of Chess Life, Kalev Pehme, for this comment. I had missed this
remark, which I just found on page 17 col. 3 of the April Chess Life.

Interesting. One of the reasons that most of my high school players (many of
whom have multiple interests including music, sports, etc.) give for saying that
they WILL NOT continue playing chess after high school is that the adult chess
population is often nerdy, geeky, or sufficiently unprofssional so that they
just don't really want to associate with them that much. I think that's fairly
telling coming from high school students.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old May 3rd 04, 03:07 PM
MC

On the March 2004 issue of Chess Life, page 8 (Fischer's War... review by
Mr. Pehme), he wrote:

"...a United States Chess Federation that is completely different from
today's USCF."

How was it different? Read on...

"Then, the USCF was truly an American organization."

Ok, so today's USCF is not really an American organization... What's the
difference between then and now? What did the USCF had back then that made
it a *truly* American organization? Here's the answer:

******* "The USCF had a kind of all-white American look that is not longer
recognizable." *******

....and he added more fuel to the fire with...

"(Now the USCF's president is a woman from South America!)"

What seems to transpire from Mr. Pehme's ass-backwards view of the world in
general and of America in particular is that what is *truly* American is
only all-white and all-male. BTW, who the heck is Mr. Kalev Pehme, with
that freaking name, to tell me what an American should be? I am
Hispanic-American; my ancestors have been fighting US wars since WWI, and
whoever tells me that that doesn't make the mark can come all the way over
here and kiss my ass! Everyday, damn it, I try to do my best for God and
country, even after all the bitterness left from my days trying to get out
of the ghetto, all the humiliation and all that the "system" did (and still
does) against me.

Now, back to the "glorified" USCF, the truly "American" organization...
what's it's best product? Bobby Fischer. Certainly an amazing chess player
but a complete in many other areas, who took great delight in the
attacks we suffered on 9/11... What did the USCF do? They "kicked" Bobby
off the USCF membership and ratings... wow! But they still kiss Bobby's ass
by putting him on the front cover of USCF magazine and wishing him a happy
birthday... And all those GMs trying to sell books off Bobby's image, you
make me sick! You hypocrites! You all have double standards, all of you!
Of course, the USCF of today is not truly American... you see, so this kind
of behaviour by inferior life-forms is to be expected. And the USCF editor
is non other than someone by the name of Kalev Pehme.

I'm collecting my USCF magazines just in case I ever run out of toilet
paper...
---

Old May 3rd 04, 03:12 PM
John Fernandez

I have never seen Kalev Pehme at a chess tournament and I wonder on
what basis he makes these statements.

He's been to quite a few events. Of course, we'd much rather have him than you
around.

John Fernandez
Old May 3rd 04, 03:14 PM
Doctor SBD

I wonder when it will be time to say I told you so? His first few issues
featured the poorest copyediting I have ever seen, and his own "articles" are
so bizarre that you do indeed wonder if he has ever been involved in chess. The
only way subsequent issues improved at all was when he muzzled his own writing,
although the errata in each issue was amazing still.

I challenge the EB to take a look at any of the European magazines out there,
and decide if we are even in the same universe.

Of course, the June issue will prominently feature, most likely, a 30 page book
review of "CHESSDON II: The raping of USCF continues" written in prose so
turgid it will make Don Schultz look like a good writer.

SBD