Old May 8th 13, 12:22 PM posted to misc.consumers,soc.culture.usa,ny.general,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Senate Passes Internet Sales Tax Bill

BREAKING NEWS: Senate Passes Internet Sales Tax Bill
Here is a great issue for us all to fight. This measure gives the US
Government the power to impose a world wide sales tax on all Internet
transactions. As usual they name the bill exactly the opposite of what
it does. They call it "the Marketplace Fairness Act". In a vote of 69
to 27 Monday night, the U.S. Senate passed the Marketplace Fairness
Act, which gives states the power to force retailers outside their
borders to collect online sales tax.

Sam, Are you sure that they could enforce it for international
transactions?

Interesting question and I am sure that our Low-IQ US Senators and
President have never thought of this. The intent of the bill is if
Amazon based in Seattle sells a book to a customer in Florida then
either Washington or Florida or both would be required to charge and
collect a sales tax. However, suppose a book dealer in Japan sells a
book to a customer in Germany but uses an Internet server based in the
USA, would a US state collect the sales tax? I do not know the answer
and I doubt they do either. Remember that there is no federal sales
tax. There are only state sales taxes. Under this bill, the federal
government is requiring the states to charge and collect the sales
taxes.