Old May 10th 04, 02:19 AM
Angelo DePalma

Default Beatriz Marinello

Baburin mentioned a statment by Beatriz M. on FIDE, but I could not find
anything on the USChess website. Anyone have a link?

Angelo

Old May 10th 04, 06:15 AM
John Fernandez

Baburin mentioned a statment by Beatriz M. on FIDE, but I could not find
anything on the USChess website. Anyone have a link?

Angelo

I have the statement:

Statement of United States Chess Federation

Addressed to the
FIDE Presidential Board

May 7th, 2004

Dear Members of the chess community:

As a President of the United States Chess Federation, one of the member nations
of the Fédération Internationale des Echecs (FIDE), hereby express our grave
concern over the FIDE Presidential Board's recent mismanagement of its
responsibilities.

Indeed, the sole positive step has been FIDE's decision to move its Women's
Championship event from Batumi, Georgia to Elista, Russia. This measure was
essential in light of the widespread concerns that had been expressed for the
safety of our players.

But the rest of the picture is bleak in the extreme. At present, FIDE's
accounts are appallingly in arrears. The FIDE President owe millions of
dollars to FIDE. Every assurance from him that payment will be made on
specific dates has come and gone without action. Months ago, FIDE accepted the
resignation of its Executive Director, yet even today it has still not taken
the requisite action to select a new Executive Director.
FIDE's style of governance has been increasingly founded on diktat, with
dissenting views brushed aside.

FIDE World Championship Title

Ever since FIDE announced that Tripoli (Libya) would be the venue of the 2004
World Championship it has been increasingly evident that players from many
countries would experience insurmountable problems in traveling to and
competing in the event. Many nations have national laws preventing their
citizens from traveling to and doing business with Libya.
It was premature for the FIDE Presidential Board to award the FIDE World
Championship event to Tripoli at a time when the United Nations had not lifted
its sanctions.

Players unable to compete in Tripoli were due to be given an alternative way of
participating in the cycle, i.e. by playing in a parallel competition in Malta.
Unfortunately, the Maltese event has been cancelled, which means that some
players of FIDE member nations currently find themselves barred from the
competition. The host nation of the FIDE World Championship is required to
permit safe travel for all competitors, and since Libya is unable to offer such
guarantees we call upon FIDE, in the spirit of its own motto, Gens una sumus,
immediately to reinstate a parallel event in Malta so that all players entitled
to participate in the World Championship cycle may do so.

Sincerely,

Please sign your name if you support this statement:

"Beatriz Marinello," President of the United States Chess Federation

Old May 10th 04, 01:12 PM
Angelo DePalma

Thanks, John.

World chess is in very sad shape.

Old May 10th 04, 07:30 PM
Ray Gordon

Thanks, John.

World chess is in very sad shape.

You mean ORGANIZED chess.

Chess as a game is doing great!

Old May 10th 04, 10:19 PM
Jerzy

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message

World chess is in very sad shape.

You mean ORGANIZED chess.

Chess as a game is doing great!

Even organized chess isn`t doing that bad. Take for instance internet chess.
There have been so many internet grandmasters by now so internet chess is
doing great ;-)

Regards,
Jerzy

Old May 11th 04, 05:40 AM
CJB

Does anyone besides me find it hysterical that Beatriz can criticize the
financial arrears that FIDE is in. Of course, I guess it takes one (a failed
chess association) to know one.
CJ the Brick
Old May 11th 04, 06:44 AM
ASCACHESS

Does anyone besides me find it hysterical that Beatriz can criticize the
financial arrears that FIDE is in. Of course, I guess it takes one (a failed
chess association) to know one.
CJ the Brick

Or that she presumes to take the lead in any venture requiring ethics.
Beatriz has been throwing her bricks through her own glass walls for some time.

As long as we are "led" by the blind, we shall continue to bumble along our
way.
Is the rest of the chess world really supposed to take us seriously?

Richard Peterson
Old May 11th 04, 02:19 PM
Angelo DePalma

John,

If I had the opportunity to go -- even as a player with a guaranteed
payday -- I would decline. I am very uncomfortable with cozying up to the
regime in Libya. The initial arrangement with Tripoli/Malta was an affront
to every decent human being. Imagine if they had designated Malta as the
playing venue for blacks or Chinese. Plus Libya's statement and retraction
about the "Zionist enemy" were never clarified to my satisfaction. Where did
this statement come from? If from an official Libyan source, then can you
trust their change of heart? And who make up the Zionist enemy? Israelis?
All Jews? It's kind of disgusting even to have to think about such things in
2004, but that's the world of chess, 2004.

Baburin published a letter in Chess Today from Boris Gulko urging FIDE to
pull out of Libya. Gulko points out that many Jews have dual citizenship
(Israel and another country). Are they part of the "Zionist enemy?"
Certainly if I were Jewish I'd stay as far away from Tripoli as I possibly
could, and according to Gulko many (from Russia, etc.) will.

You have to be bothered by the possibility of the first Jew-free world chess
"championship". What a joke. What an abomination.

Angelo

Subject: Beatriz Marinello
From: "Angelo DePalma"
Date: 5/10/2004 8:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Thanks, John.

World chess is in very sad shape.

Eh, not so clear. In fact I might very well go to Libya.

John Fernandez

Old May 11th 04, 04:17 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Yeah, it`s complete nonsense. There are anti-Zionist Israeli citizens who
are also in the religion of Judaism.
Zionism is a terrorist movement which started in the late 19th century under
Theodor Herzl. Someone being born in a specific country, or practicing a
specific religion, does not automatically make them a participant or
supporter of this movement. It would be similar to saying ALL Libyans are
terrorists just by the chance of fate that made them be born within those
borders.
This isn`t a World Championship they`re planning, of course, just another
one of those laughable KO tournaments with the two-game "matches". Not
nearly as interesting as round-robins or even swisses. But still, they
shouldn`t exclude people for idiotic reasons like this. How do they know
that Smirin, for example, is a Zionist? For all I know, he hates Zionism.
Did they ask him?