Old May 10th 04, 11:25 PM
The Masked Bishop

Default The Wisdom of Kalev Pehme, our Chess Life editor (part 1)

From Chess Life, May, 2004, page 20:

"The erotic possibilities of chess are unrealized today, because women
rarely play the game any more in any great numbers."

(The Wisdom of Kalev Pehme is an ongoing series of verbatim quotes,
posted here and e-mailed to all USCF officials and board members,
until such a time as someone has the sanity to fire him.)

--TMB
Old May 11th 04, 12:05 AM
Parrthenon

From Chess Life, May, 2004, page 20:

"The erotic possibilities of chess are unrealized today, because women
rarely play the game any more in any great numbers."

(The Wisdom of Kalev Pehme is an ongoing series of verbatim quotes,
posted here and e-mailed to all USCF officials and board members,
until such a time as someone has the sanity to fire him.) TMC

Give it a rest!

--TMB
Old May 11th 04, 12:47 AM
ASCACHESS

"The erotic possibilities of chess are unrealized today, because women
rarely play the game any more in any great numbers."

(The Wisdom of Kalev Pehme is an ongoing series of verbatim quotes,
posted here and e-mailed to all USCF officials and board members,
until such a time as someone has the sanity to fire him.)

--TMB

Yes, but we can give each one of the ladies a new women's chess calendar.
Old May 11th 04, 01:10 AM
The Masked Bishop

Give it a rest!

NO, I won't. This goes beyond the usual grammar atrocities. The April
issue was riddled with sexist comments, and now we're getting full
articles. If you don't see this as a huge problem, then sit down; you're
not helping.
Old May 11th 04, 10:17 AM
Doctor SBD

Nill Brock said:

I'm off the fence: it's time to hire a professional editor.

USCF prefers cheap to good.

Pehme's latest "review" was so bizarre I felt I was reading the Pakchess site,
not "the world's most widely circulated chess magazine."

SBD

Old May 11th 04, 03:10 PM
Chess One

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message
.com...

Give it a rest!

NO, I won't. This goes beyond the usual grammar atrocities. The April
issue was riddled with sexist comments, and now we're getting full
articles. If you don't see this as a huge problem, then sit down; you're
not helping.

My thought also. Damn! You have to pay for this thing, I mean you HAVE to,
then you have to shut-up about jejeune expressions of sexism.

What's the message? Perhaps girls shouldn't play chess at all? Only us, ah,
nerds?

Phil Innes

Old May 11th 04, 05:33 PM
The Masked Bishop

My thought also. Damn! You have to pay for this thing, I mean you HAVE to,
then you have to shut-up about jejeune expressions of sexism.

The damage is already spreading. At my son's high school, where the
chess team has three girls, they had a discussion about the recent
sexist comments in Chess Life and how to handle them. I think they sent
or are sending a letter to the Board, but we know what that
does...nothing. After all, our Executive Director works for free. Who's
going to call his ass on the carpet?

The USCF is really starting to stink. It used to be funny. Now it's
getting sleazy. Beatriz Marinello...shame on you.

I'll say it again: Beatriz Marinello...shame on you.

--TMB