Old May 11th 04, 05:05 PM
The Masked Bishop

Default May Chess Life cover story...yeah, that will rope the newbies in...

Given that the May cover story of Chess Life continues our current
editor's fascination with stultifying mathematical analyses of arcane
chess trivia, and that such a topic, as well as the truly ugly cover
that heralds it, will not move an inch off the newsstands, can we now
DROP the pretense that "Chess Life" has any value as a retail
periodical, and save some major money in the process?

Just a thought. I know, they don't come easy in New Windsor these
days.

TMB
Old May 11th 04, 05:31 PM
The Masked Bishop

I would have thought that changing the cover date back to coincide with
the calendar date of coverage (ie, the June issue is the one members
will receive in early June) was a tacit acceptance of the fact that
newsstand sales are not significant.

If that's the case, then let's pull retail distribution, stop printing
on newsprint, and deliver only through mail and e-mail.

TMB

Old May 11th 04, 05:50 PM
Miriling

Subject: May Chess Life cover story...yeah, that will rope the newbies
in...

On 11 May 2004 (Mike Nolan) wrote in

--
Mike Nolan

Changing the cover date to coincide with the calendar date of coverage only

works if the issue is properly mailed out with enough lead time. For example,
the May issue was mailed out May 3, which was a mistake. It should have been
mailed out the last week in April. As of May 11, still no issue in sight in my
neck of the woods. I
Will the June issue be mailed out in late May so that the issue arrives in
early June? I know the federation has given up on newsstand sales, but has it
given up on its members/CL subscribers? Does it not see the importance of
making sure that the issue is always received the first week of the month? A
repeat of what happened to the May issue will not help matters. Has our
contract with the printer changed? As one who is supposedly close to the
federation affairs, do you have an explanation as to why the May issue was
mailed out late? It sounds like that there was a breakdown in communication in
New Windsor.

George Mirijanian

Old May 11th 04, 07:19 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

New In Chess.
Compare it to Chess Life.
How utterly embarassing.
The USCF should drop Chess Life entirely and get a deal with a real chess
magazine, such as New In Chess, or something else. Do it similar to how
they did the sales outsourcing. Let`s face it, Chess Life is a joke
compared to many of the chess periodicals in other countries.

om...

Old May 11th 04, 07:30 PM
Fifiela

Chess Life is a joke
compared to many of the chess periodicals in other countries.

CL stinks! Kutrzdorfer and Palme are/were disasters. Bring back Glenn
Peterson or Larry Paar!

I organized/directed a adult chess tournament 10 days ago. I found that I
could not say $45 when it came to USCF adult membership. I tried to say "$45
and I'll throw the torunament in for free" but the words would not clear my
throat. I ending up charging $32 (which is on the high end of what I think
actual value is) and I paid the rest out of my pocket.

I think I'll have one last adult tournament in the fall to move some trophies
out of my garage and then hang it up on adult chess.

Redman and De Fries did USCF in! De Freis was an idiot and clueless so I
understand his contribution. Redman's a mystery. Redman's no idiot and he
understood USCF so why did he allow De Fries to declare war on us organizers.

Tim, do you read this group? Would you care to apologize or explain yourself?
Old May 11th 04, 07:47 PM
Mike Nolan

(Miriling) writes:

Will the June issue be mailed out in late May so that the issue arrives in
early June? I know the federation has given up on newsstand sales, but has it
given up on its members/CL subscribers? Does it not see the importance of
making sure that the issue is always received the first week of the month? A
repeat of what happened to the May issue will not help matters. Has our
contract with the printer changed? As one who is supposedly close to the
federation affairs, do you have an explanation as to why the May issue was
mailed out late? It sounds like that there was a breakdown in communication in
New Windsor.

I don't have direct information on the production schedule for Chess
Life. I can tell you the labels for May were generated on April 12th,
but the labels have always been (and need to be) generated several weeks
before the scheduled mailing date.

I can offer several theories.

For example, the USCF replaced their CFO in mid-April. This meant that they
had to change the authorized signatures for the bank. As a result, there
could have been a delay in issuing the postage check to the printer which
in turn caused a change in the mailing date. (Quebecor, like most mailers,
require that mailing permit accounts be fully funded in advance of their
doing a mailing, as the USPS doesn't extend credit.)

The membership department's backlog could also be affecting the editorial
schedule. We're getting close to getting some improvement here due to
the ongoing systems upgrade.

However, today is May 11th and the membership department is not yet
done processing memberships received in April. As a result, the
expiration audit report for the end of April hasn't been run yet nor
have the labels for the June Chess Life been generated. That means
the size of the production run for June isn't set yet. (The June
issue will be a split press run because of the necessity to include
ballots in some issues and not in others.) Both of those issues could
affect scheduling, since the USCF is a fairly small customer buying
slack press time at Quebecor.

And of course there are always editorial deadline issues. That's almost
a constant factor, nearly every month there are one or more last-minute
requests to get something into the magazine, coming from Bill or the
Board, from advertisers, etc.
--
Mike Nolan
Old May 11th 04, 08:22 PM
Miriling

in...

On 11 May 2004: (Mike Nolan) replied in

[...]

Many thanks, Mike, for your clarification, i.e. theories.

George Mirijanian

Old May 11th 04, 08:50 PM
Bill Smythe

Default Chess Life on the Newsstand

"Mike Nolan" wrote:
I would have thought that changing the cover date back to coincide with
the calendar date of coverage (ie, the June issue is the one members
will receive in early June) was a tacit acceptance of the fact that
newsstand sales are not significant.

Everybody realizes, eventually, that newsstand Chess Life sales are not
significant, and that no effort to change the situation has ever been
successful.

Many who gain USCF office refuse to learn from history, only to repeat the
same mistakes. The cover date has been changed back and forth at least six
times that I can remember. First, those who haven't learned from history
advance it by a month. Eventually, those who know better change it back.
The pendulum keeps swinging.

Bill Smythe

Old May 11th 04, 09:07 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Mr. Fifield,

Heil Dubya!

I don't agree with you that Kurzdorfer was a disaster, although I DO agree that
Glenn Petersen should be brought back as editor of CL (IF he will accept the
job).

However, I think your question to Redman ("Would you care to apologize or
explain yourself?") is laughable.

Some time ago, I asked for his help in the world of chess, thinking that we
were "friends" and that he "owed me" a wee wee bit, because of chess services
I had rendered him, personally. He didn't even bother to reply to my email. I
have not spoken to him since. Once -- at the US Open in Massachussetts a
couple of years ago -- he greeted me and I did not respond, so he had the gall
to ask me why. (I did not respond to that either.) I am sure Redman will
apologize and/or explain himself the day after Dubya admits he has lied all
along -- and still lies -- about our invasions of Afghanistan, Iraq and Hati.

[...]

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan, Irak und Hati. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka ber Alles!

(The more information that comes out about the attacks on the Twin Towers and
the Pentagon of 11 September 2001 the more it appears that those attacks were
organized by the rulers of the United States and were intended to have the same
effect on the people of the United States that the Reichstag fire had on the
people of Germany in 1933.)

Fight terrorism! Dissolve the CIA and disarm the Pentagon! (I have watched
the hearings of the Commission to investigate the attacks on the Twin Towers
and the Pentagon of 11 September 2001. As a result, I have become convinced
that every one of the witnesses and their four Presidents - and every one of
the Commissioners - should be tried for:
(1. Conspiracy to commit terrorism; and/or
(2. Commission of terrorist acts; and/or
(3. Conspiracy to commit murder; and/or
(4. Commission of murder; and/or
(5. Treason; and/or
(6. Suborning one or more of the above acts.)

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus