Old May 14th 04, 05:57 PM
Miriling

Default USCF EB candidates and tournament activity

The candidates running for the USCF Executive Board had their statements
published in the May 2004 issue of Chess Life. Here is a little more background
material on the candidates, with emphasis on their USCF-rated over-the-board
play:

CANDIDATES - No. of tournaments played since Jan. 1, 1991 in parentheses
Randy Bauer (Iowa), rated 2304, has not played since September 1997, (54)
David Huff (California), 1047, has not played since April 1997, (20)
Mikhail Korenman (Kansas), 1787, active, (26)
Wayne Praeder (Pennsylvania), unrated, hasn't played played rated chess (0)
Elizabeth Shaughnessy (California), 1500, active, (120)
Sam Sloan (New York), 1940, active, (54)

George Mirijanian
Old May 14th 04, 10:22 PM
Bill Smythe

"Miriling" wrote:
CANDIDATES - No. of tournaments played since Jan. 1, 1991 in parentheses
Randy Bauer (Iowa), rated 2304, has not played since September 1997, (54)
David Huff (California), 1047, has not played since April 1997, (20)
Mikhail Korenman (Kansas), 1787, active, (26)
Wayne Praeder (Pennsylvania), unrated, hasn't played played rated chess

(0)
Elizabeth Shaughnessy (California), 1500, active, (120)
Sam Sloan (New York), 1940, active, (54)

That speaks well for Korenman, Shaughnessy, and Sloan. Unfortunately for
Sloan, in his case that won't tip the balance for me.

Bill Smythe

Old May 14th 04, 11:35 PM
Randy Bauer

"Miriling" wrote:
CANDIDATES - No. of tournaments played since Jan. 1, 1991 in parentheses
Randy Bauer (Iowa), rated 2304, has not played since September 1997,

(54)
David Huff (California), 1047, has not played since April 1997, (20)
Mikhail Korenman (Kansas), 1787, active, (26)
Wayne Praeder (Pennsylvania), unrated, hasn't played played rated chess

(0)
Elizabeth Shaughnessy (California), 1500, active, (120)
Sam Sloan (New York), 1940, active, (54)

That speaks well for Korenman, Shaughnessy, and Sloan. Unfortunately for
Sloan, in his case that won't tip the balance for me.

Bill Smythe

I wouldn't suggest it speaks poorly of the others either. Over the board
tournament chess is one activity the USCF actively supports, but it is not
the only one. I have played well over a thousand rated over the board games
in my career, both as a junior and as an adult. Someday, when family and
career demands allow, I will play again. I doubt I'm unfamiliar with the
concerns and interests of players and organizers.

Randy Bauer
I am a candidate for the USCF Executive Board

Old May 15th 04, 04:36 PM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:22:08 -0500, "Bill Smythe"
wrote:

"Miriling" wrote:
CANDIDATES - No. of tournaments played since Jan. 1, 1991 in parentheses
Randy Bauer (Iowa), rated 2304, has not played since September 1997, (54)
David Huff (California), 1047, has not played since April 1997, (20)
Mikhail Korenman (Kansas), 1787, active, (26)
Wayne Praeder (Pennsylvania), unrated, hasn't played played rated chess

(0)
Elizabeth Shaughnessy (California), 1500, active, (120)
Sam Sloan (New York), 1940, active, (54)

That speaks well for Korenman, Shaughnessy, and Sloan. Unfortunately for
Sloan, in his case that won't tip the balance for me.

Bill Smythe

I think an interesting and valid question is whether being a strong or
an active player correlates with being a good board member.

The results are inconclusive. Tom Dorsch and Jim Eade were both rated
masters and very active players and yet they turned out to be two of
the worst board members ever.

Steve Doyle and Doris Barry are not players at all. If they ever
played, it must have been before 1992 because they do not have any
games or ratings in the USCF database.

Doris Barry turned out to be a very bad board member. Doyle has had
more than his share of good moments and bad moments. Final results are
not in.

Elizabeth Shaughnessy is very active both as a player and as a chess
teacher and organizer. Yet, she has played on the board some of the
worst chess moves in all of recorded chess history. Does that count
one way or the other?