Old May 17th 04, 03:23 AM
ASCACHESS

Default More Inventory Over Payments

Remember ChesterNumetz.
Here he is again.
Note what has really happened here.
Don Schultz was in shock when he was told that the unit price to produce the
Jim Mitch collection was $30 per book and Don thought it was more like $3.
After all, Don publishes his own book and knows what publishing cost.
So, who made the profit on this one?
A net cost of $16.50 seems unbelievably high and USCF itself was the publisher.
Like so many other items, the real profit of the item has been stripped out
before USCF takes it into inventory.

Think of it this way.
The cost per item IS really $3 (after all we printed at least 600 of them), but
USCF (the onstensible publisher) pays $16.50. Thus a simple calculation of 600
x the missing $13.50 equals $8100 in someone's pocket. Certainly the money did
not go to USCF.

The Jim Mitch Collection
BB166MP
Cost Per Unit $16.50
Your Price Per Unit $19.80
List Price Per Unit $39.80
On Hand Quantity 576
Total Value $9,504

Unfortunately, more later.
Old May 17th 04, 04:23 AM
ASCACHESS

Jim Mitch wrote in 2002

"One ironic aspect to the cost problem is that before signing with USCF
Press I was able to print the same books at a lower price on heavier
paper, with much better binding, larger diagrams, and print runs of as
few as 8 copies. It's unfortunate that USCF Press declined my
requests that they consider working with my printer for the first
trial run -- so they could simply supply the artwork for the new
covers and print-on-demand could immediately begin!"

We are now beginning to realize that using Jim Mitch's printer with lower
costs, better paper, heavier binding would not have allowed for a skim.

Connect the dots.