Old May 17th 04, 10:48 PM
Matt Nemmers

Default How far behind *IS* the USCF??

I've sent in several tournaments to be rated and notice that the USCF seems
to be either taking their sweet time in getting them rated or are so backed
up that they can't seem to keep up. For example:

http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?040303155

I sent this tournament in on March 9th. They say it was received almost
three weeks later, entered a MONTH later, and rated a week after that.
What's the deal? I ran a bigger tournament April 3-4, 2004 (sending it in a
few days after the tournament ended) and haven't even received the return
receipt I requested.

This is getting rather ridiculous. Anyone have the inside scoop as to
what's up in New Windsor?

Regards,

Matt

Old May 17th 04, 11:48 PM
Mike Nolan

"Matt Nemmers" writes:

I sent this tournament in on March 9th. They say it was received almost
three weeks later, entered a MONTH later, and rated a week after that.
What's the deal? I ran a bigger tournament April 3-4, 2004 (sending it in a
few days after the tournament ended) and haven't even received the return
receipt I requested.

I don't know why there was a 20 day lag between when you mailed it and
when it was logged in as having been received. Normal mail delivery should
have resulted in it being in New Windsor by around the 15th.

That was around the time when we were switching from the old membership
program to the new one, which did involve some reworking of how incoming
mail is processed, but I don't see how that should have caused any more than
a day or two's difference in when it was stamped as having been received.

Based just on the date information I see, it almost seems as if events
are not even being opened or logged in for several days. I I don't
see any logic or reason for postdating the 'date received' timestamp.
(I think most active TD's and a growing number of members are PAINFULLY
aware that the USCF is critically bogged down.)

I wonder if ratings reports are being routed through the accounting
department before they're logged in by the ratings department?

Your event wasn't logged into the computer until April 7th, so for whatever
reason the backlog has apparently spread to that desk/function as well.

Was your other event the 2nd William Sandbothe Memorial? It was logged
in (today, May 17th) as having been received on May 3rd.

Backlogs can be a cancer, spreading to everything they touch. The
USCF's traditional approach to dealing with backlogs, to throw more
employees at it, is no longer viable and they're still some weeks from
seeing significant benefits from recomputerization.

I know the stack of tournaments waiting to be processed is quite large,
my estimate to others has been that it takes a typical event at least
three weeks to get to the top of the pile. If it has problems, they
don't surface until then.

Incoming events are sorted into the stack by chronological order based on
the event ending date, which is kind of a mixed blessing. That should
help get more events rated in chronological order by giving priority to
events from further back, but it also seems to me to penalize TD's who
get their events submitted accurately and promptly.

The big problem is that events with missing ID's seem to get delayed by
another week or longer. Until the membership department is more
current, I don't see a way around that part of the problem.
--
Mike Nolan
Old May 18th 04, 02:20 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Mike Nolan" wrote in message

Was your other event the 2nd William Sandbothe Memorial? It was logged
in (today, May 17th) as having been received on May 3rd.

Yes. It was mailed in the same week it was held, so I'm not sure as to why
it's taken so long to be logged as being received. That's damn near a month
lag-time.

Thanks for the info though, Mike. I've had a couple of the players email me
as to why the Sandbothe hasn't been rated yet, so I appreciate your taking
the time to let me know the status. I'll pass that info along.

Regards,

Matt

Old May 18th 04, 02:23 AM
Bill Smythe

"Matt Nemmers" wrote:
Thanks for the info though, Mike. I've had a couple of the players email

me
as to why the Sandbothe hasn't been rated yet, so I appreciate your taking
the time to let me know the status. I'll pass that info along.

You've got lots of company. I directed a small tournament on February 28,
which got rated just a couple of weeks ago. I sent in the rating report and
six memberships in the same envelope. The memberships went through quickly,
but the tournament waited several weeks. As far as I know, there was no
problem with my tournament report (at least if there was, nobody ever told
me).

Bill Smythe

Old May 18th 04, 11:32 PM
HAASpittle

"You've got lots of company." (Bill Smyth)
The thing I most like about organizing chess is that I have not organized
chess in more than ten years.

Haas