Old May 19th 04, 10:27 AM
Jane Adams

Default Skimming Scandal --- Talking Points for Wednesday, 19 May

So what can we agree on with an eye towards cleaning up the mess, as far as
the USCF Skimming Scandal is concerned?

1) No employee was forced to wear a bag over his head while naked and
kneeling on the office floor.
2) Our leashes were made of 100% Corinthian leather
3) The cubicle locks (jail cells) don't work and we can't force the
employees to stay under house arrest
4) A tight knit group of political insiders got hefty profits from their
association with the USCF
5) The same tight knit group of political insiders kept the USCF cash poor
while they enriched themselves.
6) The insiders do business as if the USCF belongs to them, and have never
heard of either ethics (unless they want to bring you up on some phony
charge before them) or non profit tax law.
7) The one thing the insiders did do, was make sure the USCF never made a
dime and lost millions of dollars is way too kind when describing their
activities.

and finally, the last talking point for the day is,

8) nobody mention calling the authorities, or bringing a federal class
action suit against the insiders on behalf of the member class whose money
was missappropriated (embezzled).

Jane

Old May 19th 04, 01:35 PM
Doctor SBD

JaneTom:

I think anyone who has followed USCF over the last few years knows, or at least
knows with a fair degree of accuracy, who benefitted during this time (in
whatever direct way; we will probably never know exactly what happened (new
USCF motto: Members are mushrooms). Some people I thought really cared about
chess just ripped us off. Whar frightens me more is that I think they are
literally laughing at us "mere members" all the way to the "bank."

They care as much about chess as I do if Don Schultz ever packages his second
piece of drivel on chess (if you can call a vanity book on how clueless a
writer Schultz is a book on chess; perhaps we can include it with
Snosko-Borovsky's How Not to Play Chess or perhaps books on how not to write
history) ChessDon II or whatever the hell he calls it this week.

They care about as much as I do if House of Staunton is invaded by Homeland
Security for selling a game of obvious Muslim influence.

They care about as much as the likelihood that Beatriz Marinello ever realizes
that the greatest gains for chess would be amongst the older population, both
in cognitive improvement and improving their lifestyles, and that kiddy
hearding is just a loser's game. Infantilizing chess is its doom, not the
computer.

They care about as much as the likelihood that Tim Redman will ever publish the
Proceedings of the last Koltanowski Conference.

I do worry about my friend and verbal sparring partner, Tim Hanke. I hope he
does not embrace the dark side under the influence of the Lord Sith and his
mistress.

SBD
Old May 19th 04, 01:59 PM
Chessdon

An anonymose doctorsbd posted:

They care as much about chess as I do if Don Schultz ever packages his second
piece of drivel on chess (if you can call a vanity book on how clueless a
writer Schultz is a book on chess; perhaps we can include it with
Snosko-Borovsky's How Not to Play Chess or perhaps books on how not to write
history) ChessDon II or whatever the hell he calls it this week.

On the other hand known and respected members of the chess community have
praised the book. Here is a sample of what some of them are saying:

The Boston Globe by Harold Dondis: “CHESSDON recounts Schultz’s experiences
in the chess world and is the best chronicle of international chess that we
have encountered.? Syndicated columnist, Grandmaster Larry Evans: “This
memoir is a valuable and accurate rendition of tempestuous events that shaped
chess history in the last half of the 20th century.? Dr. Frank Brady, former
Chess Life editor and author of Bobby Fischer, Profile of a Prodigy: “One of
the most interesting chess books ever written.? Grandmaster Pal Benko, twice
candidate for the World Championship: “From start to finish—a riveting and
exciting book.? International Master Walter Shipman: “CHESSDON is both
entertaining and a valuable historical work.? Phil Haley, Delegate to FIDE
from Canada: “A one of a kind book that will capture and hold the attention
of not only chess enthusiasts but the entire reading world.? Egon Ditt,
President German Chess Federation: “A great book and a great contribution to
chess!? Arthur Kobese, President Chess South Africa: “This book is well
researched, full of useful information and very much enjoyable to read. It
serves as an inspiration to me, to one day write a book about my own experience
in chess in this country.? Robert Tanner, FIDE Zonal President for USA:
“One of the most enjoyable chess books I’ve read since Edward Lasker’s
old books. A very nice addition to my library.? CHESS HORIZONS by Tom Zuppa:
“Schultz offers the most complete look ever about Campomanes who appears as a
mercurial politician of fluid ethics— “I will deal with Satan himself if it
will help chess,? Campo said on more than one occasion. Bill Cornwall, chess
columnist of The Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel: “If you enjoy reading the
inside stories about the lives of chess people, then CHESSDON was written for
you.? Grandmaster Arthur Dake: “A remarkable book! So many facts and humor
too. I could not stop reading all the episodes.? Tim Redman, President of the
United States Chess Federation 1981-1984, 2000-2001: “CHESSDON, as an
eyewitness account and historical document, will be read and pondered for years
to come.? Roy Frye, editor Illinois Chess Bulletin, “As I read the section
covering Don’s first hand account of the World Championship in Iceland, I
noted that this chapter alone would have been well worth the book’s price.?
Florida Time-Union by Daren Dillinger: “CHESSDON excels in Cold war intrigue
played out on the canvas of International chess. ? Bob Persante, President of
Florida Chess Association: “For a fascinating, full treatment of chess
organization struggles and successes in scholastic and adult chess throughout
the world, read Don Schultz’s CHESSDON. Susan Grumer, Former FIDE Delegate
from US Virgin Islands: “I received your book, read the whole thing
immediately - staying up until 3 am and then getting up at 5 to go to work. I
think it is really great!? Rachel Crotto, Former US Women’s Champion: “It
is so great! I cannot tell you how exciting it was for me to read it. I
couldn’t put it down.?

Old May 19th 04, 02:12 PM
Doctor SBD

Don - how about the INDEPENDENT reviews of your book - how well did you do? My
recollection is that they were pretty damning, but heck, I can admit to being
wrong.

Solicited reviews are the mark of a bad vanity publisher.

SBD

PS - if you followed RCP without thinking solely about how it makes you look
and how you can continue to yield political power, you will find my name is
easy to find and I am known to many posters here. I am no anonymouse.
Old May 19th 04, 02:22 PM
Doctor SBD

More from the "anonymous" SBD:

According to Amazon.com, Jeremy Silman called that little gem of yours :the
worst chess book he had ever seen. Another reader noted one of your anecdotes
was so ludicrous that he wished he knew if the rest of the book was also pure
hubris in case it was destined for, as he put it, "toxic recycling."

I bet Taylor Kingston and Edward Winter just loved it.

Old May 19th 04, 02:39 PM
ASCACHESS

An anonymose doctorsbd posted:

They care as much about chess as I do if Don Schultz ever packages his

second
piece of drivel on chess (if you can call a vanity book on how clueless a
writer Schultz is a book on chess; perhaps we can include it with
Snosko-Borovsky's How Not to Play Chess or perhaps books on how not to write
history) ChessDon II or whatever the hell he calls it this week.

On the other hand known and respected members of the chess community have
praised the book. Here is a sample of what some of them are saying:

drivel snipped

Only shameless Don could turn another financial scandal into an advertising
opportunity for his self published tome II.

A truly heartfelt Sheesh.

Richard Peterson
Old May 19th 04, 03:31 PM
Chessdon

SBD said:

Don - how about the INDEPENDENT reviews of your book - how well did you do?
My
recollection is that they were pretty damning, but heck, I can admit to being
wrong.

Solicited reviews are the mark of a bad vanity publisher.

Sorry virtually all those reviews were unsolicited and only space limits me
from including dozens more of unsolicited favorable reviews. But the fact is
that virtually every author solicits some reviews so I guess we are all vanity
publishers.
One last point here is that a lot of folks have read my book and have their own
opinion on it and the comments others make about it.

SBD

PS - if you followed RCP without thinking solely about how it makes you look
and how you can continue to yield political power, you will find my name is
easy to find and I am known to many posters here. I am no anonymouse.

Those comments I gave were nearly all independent. Daming reviews? A couple
Kingley, Silman, I am sure there were others but I don't know about them.

Do you really think those people whose names and comments I gave put their
reputation on the line just to help me. Actually that would be a greater
compliment to me to have all these highly respected individuals lie just to
help me. No they are too good to do that and would not do that for anyone.
Anyone who knows chess knows them and knows that.

Maybe you are not an anonymouse but I don't know who you are and have no
interest in taking any effort to find out who you are, I have better things to
do with my time. To me you remain an anonymouse.

Frankly I don't care how I look and those that know me know that.

Yield political power - I don't want it. I chose not to hold an officers
position on the current Board and am playing a role solely as an advisor to an
outstanding president.

Old May 19th 04, 04:05 PM
Jane Adams

"ASCACHESS" wrote in message

An anonymose doctorsbd posted:

They care as much about chess as I do if Don Schultz ever packages his

second
piece of drivel on chess (if you can call a vanity book on how clueless

writer Schultz is a book on chess; perhaps we can include it with
Snosko-Borovsky's How Not to Play Chess or perhaps books on how not to

write
history) ChessDon II or whatever the hell he calls it this week.

On the other hand known and respected members of the chess community have
praised the book. Here is a sample of what some of them are saying:

drivel snipped

Only shameless Don could turn another financial scandal into an

advertising
opportunity for his self published tome II.

A truly heartfelt Sheesh.

Richard Peterson

Does Al Gore know about this?

Save a tree.

It's amazing the situation we are currently presented with.

The New Windsor Gold Rush is on at full tilt. Our "president" is very ill
and recovering (I hope) in Chile; meanwhile, back at the barn, Schutz is in
charge, and what do we hear from the great one himself? He's writing another
book??

We are so doomed.

Jane

Old May 19th 04, 04:14 PM
Doctor SBD

Maybe you are not an anonymouse but I don't know who you are and have no
interest in taking any effort to find out who you are, I have better things
do with my time. To me you remain an anonymouse.

I hope the Masked Bishop is reading this exchange. I know he will have a field
day with it. A revealed poster that you feel compelled to insult with the tag
of anonymouse. Is it now just a general insult we can hurl at each other? Oh,
goodie!

Yield political power - I don't want it. I chose not to hold an officers
position on the current Board and am playing a role solely as an advisor to
an
outstanding president.

As Creamer Wormtongue advised King Theodin?

I am sure my friend Nick Bourbaki will find many sources for me on "advisors"
who turned out to be political manipulators. Nick, your pen is called for!

SBD

Old May 19th 04, 04:33 PM
Angelo DePalma

Janey,

If you were a real woman I would consider kissing you for that last post.

Your call for bringing in law enforcement on this matter is very sensible.
The class action stuff would only make sense if there was anything to sue,
or sue for.

Angelo

news:[email protected]