Old May 20th 04, 03:24 PM
KidDon

Default Diane Reese

I was one of many who received this message today:

"Dear Florida Chess Friends,

Due to numerous changes at the USCF, it is being recommended that
DIANE REESE (the only full-time, scholastically oriented employee at
the USCF) have her position cut to Part-Time (1/2 hours & 1/2 of
current salary).

For those of you who do not know Diane, let me assure you that she is
a great employee, a great individual, and is totally dedicated to
scholastic chess. Given the fact that more than 50% of the USCF's
revenue is derived from scholastic endeavors, IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT
DIANE REMAIN AS A FULL-TIME USCF EMPLOYEE!

In order to make sure that the status quo is kept and Diane does not
lose her secure position, DON SHULTZ must vote to keep her!

PLEASE E-MAIL DON @ and express your thoughts
supporting the continues full-time employment of DIANE REESE. After
all, we supported Don in his bid to be elected to the USCF Board and
he should now support us!

PLEASE DO THIS IMMEDIATELY!

Sincerely,

Ted Goldstein"

Is this news about Diane Reese true?

KidDon
Old May 20th 04, 04:19 PM
Mike Nolan

(KidDon) writes:

Is this news about Diane Reese true?

From 1300 miles away it is tough to hang around the break room, so I
haven't heard any specifics.

However, I understand that the Board gave Bill a TOTAL payroll target
to meet (including benefits). Meeting that target has already resulted
in most of the remaining hourly staff in the membership department
going on 20 hour work weeks, and I'm fairly sure that if one looked
at the total hours logged in the ratings department compared to a
couple of years ago it would be significantly lower there too.

And people wonder why it takes 2 weeks to get a membership processed
and 4-6 weeks to get an event rated? (I understand why the Board
set the targets it did, I just hope the Board gets as many complaints
about service as the feedback addresses do.

If true, then I guess Diane is the latest casualty, and she may not be
the last one. Summer is a tight time at USCF. Membership and ratings
revenues fall off, the major summer tournament (US Open) is at best
a breakeven proposition, and I wouldn't expect a lot of revenues
from the Hanon Russell deal until next fall.

I am curious, though.

Where were the passionate letters when half the editorial staff was
let go, when the entire sales and shipping departments were 'outsourced',
when the full-time scholastic coordinator position was eliminated?

BTW, I don't think it has ever been the case that scholastics accounted
for over half of USCF membership revenue.
--
Mike Nolan
Old May 20th 04, 04:28 PM
Doctor SBD

If keeping her will make ChessDon look good, or increase his power base, he
will support it.

Otherwise, forget it.

"What do all men with power want? More power." - the Oracle

The Anonymouse formerly known as SBD
Old May 20th 04, 05:35 PM
Chessdon

Is this news about Diane Reese true?

No, not at all. It is very typical of the misinformation being spread on rgcp.

Yes, the fact is there was consideration at one time to have Diane share her
workload between AF4C and USCF but, as far as I know, this has long since been
abandoned.

A Don Schultz vote to keep a staff member is absurd. There are five Board
members and an ED right now that would have a say if that was under
consideration which it is not.

As for Diane, she has been a fantastic help to me in my dealings with the
hotels for the forthcoming US Game 30 and Senior Open. There is no chance that
I would vote for a reduction in Diane's time however, I am sure it will take
only dozen or so more misrepresentations on this to absolutely convince others
the opposite. C'est la vie. Tune in to rgcp and be informed on the facts err
rumors, err lies?

There is a meeting this weekend among EB members and scholastic council
members. The objective is how to beef up support for scholastics not reduce.

There are so many major deals and initiatives under consideration right now
that I suspect rgcp will be spitting misrepresentations of those as well. So if
you like rumors and couldn't care less about truth stay tuned to rgcp.

Old May 20th 04, 06:40 PM
Bill Smythe

Default Revenue vs numbers

"Mike Nolan" wrote:
.... I don't think it has ever been the case that scholastics

accounted
for over half of USCF membership revenue. ....

"Chess One" replied:
.... Currently there are
40,000 scholastic members
20,000 adult members ....

Mike said membership REVENUE, not membership NUMBERS.

If each scholastic member is paying less than half what each adult is
paying, there would have to be a lot MORE than twice as many of them to
account for over half the total revenue.

Bill Smythe

Old May 20th 04, 08:11 PM
KidDon

Updated info:

In a message dated 5/20/2004 10:48:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

As you all know, I am now largely out of the organized chess scene, so
take my comments for what they are worth (probably not much anymore),
but it seems to me that scholastic chess numbers remain strong, while
adult chess numbers are on the decline, so if further cuts are to be
made, they shouldn't be on the scholastic side.
__________________________

Dear all,

The USCF is not going to reduce the hours of Diane Riese for the
upcoming fiscal year. I agree with Don M logical explanation. I am
also concern about the fact that the USCF is showing a consistent
decline in adult members.

Once we stabilize the financial situation of the USCF by balancing the
budget and making sure that we will not be losing money in operations,
we will begin developing a program to address memberships issues and
chess promotions.

All the best,

Beatriz Marinello

______________________

Old May 20th 04, 08:16 PM
ASCACHESS

There is a meeting this weekend among EB members and scholastic council
members. The objective is how to beef up support for scholastics not reduce.

There are so many major deals and initiatives under consideration right now
that I suspect rgcp will be spitting misrepresentations of those as well. So
if
you like rumors and couldn't care less about truth stay tuned to rgcp.

Ever notice Don can write for paragraphs without saying anything?
Perhaps we should be grateful that he is able to quote his friendly "reviews".

Rp

Old May 21st 04, 12:02 AM
HAASpittle

"Once we stabilize the financial situation of the USCF by balancing the budget
and making sure that we will not be losing money in operations, we will begin
developing a program to address memberships issues and chess promotions.

All the best,

Beatriz Marinello
Yes,.. develop programs that enhance and enrich our chess experience.

Haas