Old May 22nd 04, 12:43 AM
Bill Smythe

Default More interesting topics

"Bill Wong" wrote:
It has happened again. Instead of having an open and meaningful debate
on the governance failures and governance systems in the organization,
the conversation has degenerated into minutae of the physics of chess
sets and swiss system pairing rules. ....

Well, maybe some of us find these topics more interesting than the original
one. Certainly Swiss pairing rules are more interesting than USCF
governance.

The only thing is, posters should change the thread title whenever
appropriate. Or better yet, start a new thread, as I have done here.

Bill Smythe

Old May 22nd 04, 03:18 AM
Bill Wong

Bill Smythe wrote:
"Bill Wong" wrote:

It has happened again. Instead of having an open and meaningful debate
on the governance failures and governance systems in the organization,
the conversation has degenerated into minutae of the physics of chess
sets and swiss system pairing rules. ....

Well, maybe some of us find these topics more interesting than the original
one. Certainly Swiss pairing rules are more interesting than USCF
governance.

The only thing is, posters should change the thread title whenever
appropriate. Or better yet, start a new thread, as I have done here.

Bill Smythe

This amounts to standing in the dining room choosing china patterns as
the walls crash down around us.--Bill Wong
Old May 22nd 04, 03:24 AM
HAASpittle

"Certainly Swiss pairing rules are more interesting than USCF governance."
(chichess)
===============
Not.

Haas
Old May 24th 04, 04:34 PM
Tim Hanke

Bill Wong wrote ...
This amounts to standing in the dining room choosing china patterns as
the walls crash down around us.

Bill,

For months you have been telling us you "will be available in May" to
take over as USCF Executive Director, but with all due respect, you
seem totally out of touch with the current situation. I already posted
a week or two ago that the USCF will be in the black this fiscal year,
or close to it. (According to the latest financials, we ARE in the
black for the year, but these numbers aren't audited so I don't trust
them completely.)

In the fiscal year starting June 1, I expect we will definitely be in
the black, probably with a large surplus, unless someone (such as Bill
Goichberg, or the delegates, or my colleagues on the board) does
something foolish and expensive. This is always possible, but I hope
it won't happen.

In short, no walls are crashing down around us, so you knuckleheads
can find something else to bitch about for a while.

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance
Old May 24th 04, 05:50 PM
GrantPerks

Tim Hanke stated:
In the fiscal year starting June 1, I expect we will definitely be in
the black, probably with a large surplus.

So why cut the remaining employees in the membership and rating department down
to half time during their busiest time of year? If it is for financial reasons
there must be a flaw in someones thinking.

I will be less concerned if my tournament from May 1st was at least logged in
as received by the USCF and if the 65 new memberships were processed. The
rating of the tournament is only a secondary concern since the scholastic
season is about over.

Best,
Grant Perks

Old May 24th 04, 06:00 PM
ASCACHESS

I already posted
a week or two ago that the USCF will be in the black this fiscal year,
or close to it. (According to the latest financials, we ARE in the
black for the year, but these numbers aren't audited so I don't trust
them completely.)

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance

Let's hope you are correct, BUT USCF has a history of misreporting the
multi-year membership income. This has happened in each of the last seven
years, if memory serves.
Considering that last year we had approximately 4000 members prepay for one or
more years, I am wondering what effect those prepays will have on this year's
bottom line.
You will recall last year at this time, we were being told by a confident ED
Niro that we were going to make a $70K profit and then ended up $365K in the
red. A primary issue was the prepaid memberships.

What was disturbing about taking future year's income in the current year is
that all the money disappears while the obligation remains. When the 4000 are
subtracted from the 21000 regular members, this makes a significant difference
to our bottom line.

I trust the same error will not be made again.

Richard Peterson

Old May 24th 04, 06:00 PM
Tim Hanke

"GrantPerks" wrote in message
Tim Hanke stated:
In the fiscal year starting June 1, I expect we will definitely be in
the black, probably with a large surplus.

So why cut the remaining employees in the membership and rating department

down
to half time during their busiest time of year? If it is for financial

reasons
there must be a flaw in someones thinking.

I will be less concerned if my tournament from May 1st was at least logged

in
as received by the USCF and if the 65 new memberships were processed. The
rating of the tournament is only a secondary concern since the scholastic
season is about over.

Grant,

The board approved the office's request for more payroll in these areas, to
catch up on the backlog.

Tim Hanke

Old May 24th 04, 06:59 PM
Bill Wong

Tim Hanke wrote:
Bill Wong wrote ...

[...]

I think the USCF has jaded you Tim. I'm not qualified to be the ED; I
think that was made clear. It was a running joke that played off the
absurdity of the situation at HQ. Now, as for walls crashing down...that
was a simile. I said it was like picking a china pattern as the walls
came crashing down. I meant it to convey the idea that there were folks
standing around talking about relatively meaningless things, that would
be completely meaningless unless they took a look at the bigger picture.
The discussion was about governance; few were paying attention. I
don't think I said much about the finances, because I have no clue what
they look like. So, relax Tim. Maybe you need a vacation?--Bill Wong
(Now Available)
Old May 24th 04, 07:21 PM
Doctor SBD

Forgive Tim, Bill. Like me, he gets cranky. Remember he really isn't a chess
politician, he is a guy who wanted to help. And then he does all that
tournament organizing....

I thinkTim is still one of those good guys who wants to help, but being on the
ED must be extremely frustrating if you are on it to do good, not just promote
your own power or self-interests.

I think he has gone along with some bad decisions too, but what can you do? It
is politics....

SBD
Old May 24th 04, 10:45 PM
Kenneth Sloan

(Tim Hanke) writes:

Bill Wong wrote ...
This amounts to standing in the dining room choosing china patterns as
the walls crash down around us.

Bill,

For months you have been telling us you "will be available in May" to
take over as USCF Executive Director, but with all due respect, you
seem totally out of touch with the current situation. I already posted
a week or two ago that the USCF will be in the black this fiscal year,
or close to it. (According to the latest financials, we ARE in the
black for the year, but these numbers aren't audited so I don't trust
them completely.)

Would it be equally correct to say that USCF will end the year in the
red, or close to it?

In the fiscal year starting June 1, I expect we will definitely be in
the black, probably with a large surplus, unless someone (such as Bill
Goichberg, or the delegates, or my colleagues on the board) does
something foolish and expensive. This is always possible, but I hope
it won't happen.

Duh!

In what year (in your opinion) would the USCF have finished in the red,
in the absence of someone (such as the ED, or the delegates, or the EB)
doing something stupid?

In short, no walls are crashing down around us, so you knuckleheads
can find something else to bitch about for a while.

Why should this pronouncement carry any more weight than the 17 similar
pronouncements made over the past 8 years or so?

Tim - it is counterproductive to insult people while at the same time
making vacuous statements. Show a little gravitas, for a change.

Tim Hanke
USCF Vice President of Finance

By the way...which EB member is charged with the reponsibility of
producing correct financial statements (ones that stand up under audit)?

If *you* don't trust them, why should anyone else?

--
Kenneth Sloan

Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham FAX (205) 934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/