Old May 24th 04, 01:45 AM
Bill Smythe

Default Blitz ratings

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote:
.... I think rating G/5 was an excellent idea. ....

Everyone agrees, apparently. It seems to be a case of an ED, even though
perhaps slightly exceeding his authority, coming up with a great idea.

I hope, eventually, there will be a separate rating system for G/5 through
G/9 or perhaps G/3 through G/9.

Bill Smythe

Old May 24th 04, 05:28 AM
Kenneth Sloan

"Bill Smythe" writes:

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote:
.... I think rating G/5 was an excellent idea. ....

Everyone agrees, apparently.

No, everyone does *not* agree. Once again, you leap to conclusions
based on little evidence.

The main problem with rating G/5 as "quick" is that the traditional
rules and skills used in "blitz" are significantly different than those
used in G/10-G/30.

A separate rating system may, or may not, be a good thing for USCF to
administer. I, for one, would prefer to wait until New Windsor
demonstrates that it is competent to administer the rating systems we
already have before branching out into new territory (esp. territory
which has not exactly been a roaring success when run by others).

--
Kenneth Sloan
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
Old May 24th 04, 06:21 AM
Douglas L Stewart

"Kenneth Sloan" wrote in message

The main problem with rating G/5 as "quick" is that the traditional
rules and skills used in "blitz" are significantly different than those
used in G/10-G/30.

Maybe I've just been assuming, but I figured in order for it to be rated
blitz you have to use standard USCF rules. I have been running my blitz
tournaments that way. Is that optional?

---
Douglas L Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association

Old May 24th 04, 06:23 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I'd like to see someone prove statistically that the performance of a player
has a signficant difference in G/5 versus G/10 before we look at
implementing another rating category. I have run a lot of tournaments at
both time controls and I really haven't noticed much of a different.

---

Old May 24th 04, 06:42 AM
David Bohm

You are correct Douglas. In the 5th edition USCF rule book chapter 11

"The following USCF Blitz rules are intended to be as similar as possible to
regular USCF rules in order to minimize confusion. Regular USCF rules for
sudden death play apply also to Blitz."

However, Kenneth is also correct in that the rules as they appear in the 5th
edition of the USCF rulebook are not often applied to blitz chess
tournaments. In addition, variation 3A of the rules where an illegal move
is an automatic loss is quite different from normal play for longer time
controls. Also, most blitz tournaments I have seen use "clock move" but the
USCF rules for blitz do not have clock move as a variation, touch move is
required even for blitz.

David Bohm

Old May 24th 04, 07:04 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I'll have to grab my rulebook and look that one up. I'm not familiar with
it. You're saying in blitz an illegal move is an automatic loss? Is that a
standard rule or an optional one? I've been doing a 2 minute penalty for an
illegal move just like other time controls.

news:[email protected]

Old May 24th 04, 07:27 AM
David Bohm

Optional rule, as I stated it is variation 3A (variation means optional
rule). The 2 minute penalty for an illegal move is the standard rule even
in blitz. It is the existence of this variation though that does make blitz
different in the rules than standard time controls chess. At the Junior
High nations tournament this year the USCF was using variation 3A rather
than the standard 2 minute penalty.

Old May 24th 04, 08:18 AM
Douglas L Stewart

It has its merits - it would keep the rounds from dragging. I think I'll
stick with the 2 minute penalty for my tournaments though.

-Douglas

news:[email protected]

Old May 24th 04, 10:54 AM
Bill Smythe

"Kenneth Sloan" wrote:
.... No, everyone does *not* agree [ that rating G/5 is a good idea ]

.. Once again, you leap to conclusions
based on little evidence. ....

My evidence was simply the posts on RGCP. Admittedly, this is "little"
evidence, but yours is the first that seems to disagree.

.... The main problem with rating G/5 as "quick" is that the

traditional
rules and skills used in "blitz" are significantly different than those
used in G/10-G/30. ....

If by "traditional rules" you mean "clock-move" instead of touch-move, then
the rules are the same. Both blitz (even as practiced by WBCA) and quick
use touch-move.

Nevertheless, best would be to have separate rating systems for quick and
blitz. Second best is to rate blitz games as quick. Third best (and worst,
now that WBCA has folded) would have been not to rate blitz at all.

Bill Smythe

Old May 24th 04, 10:58 AM
Bill Smythe

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote:
.... You're saying in blitz an illegal move is an automatic loss? Is

that a
standard rule or an optional one? I've been doing a 2 minute penalty for

an
illegal move just like other time controls. ....

Please keep doing what you're doing! An automatic loss is an atrocious
penalty for an inadvertent illegal move.

For USCF blitz, automatic loss is a variation. A time penalty is the
standard rule, just as you are doing.

Bill Smythe