Old June 1st 04, 06:30 PM
KidDon

Default Low Income Middle School Chess Club Looking For Supplies

(Mike) wrote in message om...
My name is Michael Cohen and I am the chess coach and a Social Studies
teacher at Westridge Middle School in Orlando Florida. Westridge
Middle School is a Title-I school which means that over 75% of our
students are on a free or nearly free lunch program(very low income).
2003-2004 was the first year I began an afterschool chess program at
Westridge and I was amazed by the response. Within the first month we
had over 40 students playing and learning the game. I took these
students to 6 tournaments during the year, but in most cases where the
small tournaments did not offer pieces and boards for their games, my
students were forced to play with substandard supplies(junky 5 dollar
plastic sets). In addition, many of the students were not able to
afford the entries to the tournament even after they had been reduced
to 15 dollars or less. I did pay for many of them myself, but there
are just so many needy kids. I have purchased enough boards for about
20 students, but as I expect this coming year will bring a larger
response, I know I will need to have more supplies. Since scholastic
chess has always been targeted toward the upper class as far as
supplies go, I find it very difficult to have an adequate amount of
quality boards, pieces and clocks for my students to play with. If
anyone out there chess coaches, chess store, individuals) have any
type of supplies(clocks, boards, pieces), including notation pads or
even small donations please email me at
and I will
give you the school's address and a phone number where I can be reach.
Thanks in advance from my students and myself for any responses I
receive.
-Mike Cohen (Chess Coach Westridge Middle School)

______________________________
Mike,

Contact the Florida Chess Association. It has a sizeable scholastic
surplus and should be able to help you out.
http://www.floridachess.org/. You might also try the Florida
Scholastic Chess League. http://fscl.4lifenet.net/. Finally, you
might want to talk with Arden Dilley, the coordinator for the
Miami/Dade Title I chess program. He is full of information regarding
Title I Chess Programs that should be of use to you.
http://miamichess.org/.

Don Mihokovich
Old June 1st 04, 07:56 PM
Mike Nolan

(KidDon) writes:

Contact the Florida Chess Association. It has a sizeable scholastic
surplus and should be able to help you out.
http://www.floridachess.org/. You might also try the Florida
Scholastic Chess League. http://fscl.4lifenet.net/. Finally, you
might want to talk with Arden Dilley, the coordinator for the
Miami/Dade Title I chess program. He is full of information regarding
Title I Chess Programs that should be of use to you.
http://miamichess.org/.

All excellent suggestions. In addition, he should contact the
US Chess Trust through the USCF office. He should also check with
the local service clubs, I know a number of schools that have gotten
funds to buy chess sets from Rotary, Kiwanis and Lions clubs.

However, I'm cannot agree with one thing that Mike said:

Since scholastic
chess has always been targeted toward the upper class as far as
supplies go, I find it very difficult to have an adequate amount of
quality boards, pieces and clocks for my students to play with.

Upper class??? I don't think so. There are few competitive activities
in which the basic equipment cost for a player is as low as it is for chess.

$15 for a plastic set and vinyl board, both of which will last nearly forever.

Have you priced basketball shoes lately, or a tennis racket?

You don't really need clocks (which are, admittedly, a bit expensive) to
run a successful chess program. You don't need a dedicated (and expensive
to maintain) space, either.

It frustrates me no end that quite a few PTA's or school districts will
put the lousy $5 box sets on their approved equipment list--and in some
cases buy them for the same classrooms year after year--but not sets that
will give them many years of service. (They put far more common sense
into the buying of brooms and mops!)

BTW, here's a secret I've learned. Go to the local banks and ask them
to give you their worn out bank bags, the kind they use for coins. Nice
heavy fabric. They may be too frayed for quarters but they'll last forever
in classrooms.
--
Mike Nolan

PS. The Florida test scores would appear to show that Westridge Middle
School is making some progress in key areas like reading. Congratulations
and keep it up!

Old June 1st 04, 08:58 PM
Mike Nolan

"Gunny Bunny" writes:

Mike it is a SCAM !!

I don't see anything in the original post to support that contention.
Unlike you, I did a bit of research.

The teacher is listed on the school's website and his bio even mentions
that he is their chess coach. The address he posted from is the same
e-mail address shown on the school's website and it does appear to be a
Title I school.

In any event the steps that were recommended, contacting the Chess Trust,
various state chess groups, local civic clubs, etc. are all things worth
discussing for the benefit of other readers.

Now, posting anonymously from a ficticious address, THAT'S a scam!!
--
Mike Nolan

Old June 2nd 04, 05:09 AM
Mike

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really can't believe, oh yes i
guess i can, that someone is accusing me of being a scammer. I do
appreciate the people who went ahead and researched Westridge. As for
the address anything can be sent it is of course Westridge Middle
School C/O Michael Cohen. I will take many of you up on your
suggestions. Thanks again and have a great summer all.
-Mike