Old June 5th 04, 08:28 PM
ASCACHESS

Default Which State Organizer Did USCF bail out?

"I can tell you, one of the many good things USCF has done is bail out
organizers who screw up national events in a big way. In 2003, USCF assumed
responsibility for thousands of dollars in prizes that were legally the
responsibility of the organizer and his state federation. (I don't deserve
credit for this noble gesture because I argued against it!)

You don't hear much on this newsgroup about positive stories like that. Just
complaints.

Tim Hanke"

Another positive story?
ROTFL.
This is remarkable and very likely illegal. USCF is, of course, a non-profit.
It is yet another boondoggle giveaway by the US Chess Friends.

Rp
Old June 5th 04, 08:49 PM
Randy Bauer

"ASCACHESS" wrote in message
"I can tell you, one of the many good things USCF has done is bail out
organizers who screw up national events in a big way. In 2003, USCF

assumed
responsibility for thousands of dollars in prizes that were legally the
responsibility of the organizer and his state federation. (I don't deserve
credit for this noble gesture because I argued against it!)

You don't hear much on this newsgroup about positive stories like that.

Just
complaints.

Tim Hanke"

Another positive story?
ROTFL.
This is remarkable and very likely illegal. USCF is, of course, a

non-profit.
It is yet another boondoggle giveaway by the US Chess Friends.

Rp

I don't know the particulars, but at first glance I would have argued (and
voted) against it as well.

Randy Bauer
I am a candidate for the USCF Executive Board

Old June 5th 04, 09:06 PM
WPraeder

I don't know the particulars, but at first glance I would have argued (and
voted) against it as well.

Randy Bauer
I am a candidate for the USCF Executive Board

Randy,

It looks like we are in agreement here. This is not the first time the USCF has
helped make sure tournament organizers or related service providers would not
lose money. In my view tournament activities need to be self-supporting. I've
never understood how this type of subsidy is educational and instructional, or
broadens and develops chess as art and recreation as a significant element of
culture in America.

It will be useful to get more facts on the incident.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old June 5th 04, 09:33 PM
Randy Bauer

"WPraeder" wrote in message
[...]

It is also hard for me to understand this from the basis of opportunity
cost. If services have been impacted by some of the reductions in
personnel, it is hard to see how this is the most effective use of scarce
USCF resources.

Randy Bauer

Old June 5th 04, 10:26 PM
Tim Hanke

"Randy Bauer" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...

"WPraeder" wrote in message
[...]

It was a USCF national event. The USCF Executive Board decided it would not
look good if players in a USCF national event were not paid their prizes.

You can bet your bottom dollar, if USCF had *not* come to the rescue,
Richard Peterson and other USCF critics would have attacked USCF viciously
and the issue would have lived forever, on this newsgroup at least.

Unfortunately, that's how some of the people here are.

Tim Hanke

Old June 5th 04, 11:00 PM
Randy Bauer

news:[email protected]_s02...

"WPraeder" wrote in message
[...]

Tim,

I'm sure you appreciate the fact that this is a very slippery slope. With
the precedent established, you could have organizers who make, shall we say,
aggressive bids on tournaments knowing that if all doesn't work out, the
national organization will act as a backstop when it comes to paying prizes.

If I were to vote for this, I'd have to be assured that there were
extenuating circumstances and that this would not become the norm. I'd also
expect some sort of repayment arrangements.

Randy Bauer

Old June 5th 04, 11:38 PM
ASCACHESS

It was a USCF national event. The USCF Executive Board decided it would not
look good if players in a USCF national event were not paid their prizes.

You can bet your bottom dollar, if USCF had *not* come to the rescue,
Richard Peterson and other USCF critics would have attacked USCF viciously
and the issue would have lived forever, on this newsgroup at least.

Unfortunately, that's how some of the people here are.

Tim Hanke

So who was the party that USCF bailed out?
Was the party in question politically connected?
Of course he was.

Otherwise, he would have gotten sued.
Tell us, was USCF holding the money from the tournament?

So who was it that got the favored treatment?

Richard Peterson

Old June 6th 04, 12:43 AM
Fifiela

So who was the party that USCF bailed out? Was the party in question
politically connected?

National Event? 2003? Cash shortfall?
The US Open comes to mind as a suspect. Just a guess....
Old June 6th 04, 02:39 AM
ASCACHESS

So who was the party that USCF bailed out? Was the party in question
politically connected?

National Event? 2003? Cash shortfall?
The US Open comes to mind as a suspect. Just a guess....

No, the USOpen is USCF's own little disaster.

Rp
Old June 6th 04, 03:41 AM
Recmate

Subject: Which State Organizer Did USCF bail out?
From: (ASCACHESS)
Date: 06/05/2004 9:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time
So who was the party that USCF bailed out? Was the party in question
politically connected?

National Event? 2003? Cash shortfall?
The US Open comes to mind as a suspect. Just a guess....

No, the USOpen is USCF's own little disaster.

Rp

It was the US Senior Open in Delaware. The bidders (Delaware Chess
Association) had agreed to be responsible for paying all expenses, but the
turnout was very poor and they said they could afford to pay only $1000 of the
$5000 prize fund.

The tournament was poorly publicized. No display ad appeared in Chess Life
until the issue that came out in July, about a week or two before the
tournament- much too late. This does not appear to have been USCF's fault.

However, Chess Life did commit a serious error which hurt the turnout. The
original dates of the event were to be July 9-16, but the organizer changed
them to July 19-24 in time for the first TLA that came out in May, and that one
was correct. The TLA that appeared in June, though, had the wrong dates of
July 9-16. I called the ED at this point and urged that a mailing be sent to
seniors with the correct dates (a mailing was a good idea even if Chess Life
hadn't erred), but neither USCF nor the organizer did this.

The same bidders were also running the US Masters July 13-23 with a $30,000
guaranteed prize fund, for which they had sponsorship. Chess Life got the dates
right in the issue that appeared in May, but listed the dates as July 19-29 the
following month, causing the bidders to cancel that event.

Under the circumstances I believe that it was the correct move for USCF to
maintain the reputation of national tournaments by paying the balance of the
prizes, and to refrain from taking action against the bidders.

Bill Goichberg