Old June 6th 04, 06:13 PM
Parrthenon

Default Hitler and Chess

From Evans On Chess, Chess Life, February 2002, page 32

THOUGHT FOR THE MONTH: "Hitler was a 20-year-old drifter without plans for the
future who frequented the chess cafes in Vienna, sometimes staying the night.
Chess fascinated him so much that he feared it could, as it had so many others,
totally absorb him and take over his life. Therefore he decided to break with
it overnight." -- Schach Ohne Partner fur Konner by Herbert Grasemann (1982).

[A footnote says Hitler told this to his legal adviser and intimate friend Hans
Frank with strict orders never to mention it "because the image of a chess
addict did not fit with the legend of one destined by providence to change the
world." Frank governed Poland during WW11 and was hanged as a war criminal at
Nuremberg in 1946. A true chess lover, he played some consultation games in
1942 at Warsaw with Alekhine and Bolljubow. Frank told the story to the
problemist Ado Kraemer, who in turn told it to Herbert Grasemann.]
Old June 6th 04, 06:32 PM
Doctor SBD

Yeah, from the same guy who thought the Pope was a problemist over a decade
after every other serious player knew it was a hoax. Larry Evans was one of
America's great GMs; in the 1970s his column was quoted throughout the world,
including the ECOs and other sources. Now he is America's prime source of chess
misinformation. A sad story indeed.

SBD
Old June 6th 04, 08:14 PM
Parrthenon

Larry Evans was one of America's great GMs; in the 1970s his column was
quoted throughout the world, including the ECOs and other sources. Now he is
America's prime source of chess misinformation. A sad story indeed. -- Doctor
SBD, one of the saddest characters on this forum who needs to check his own
bile level.

Check out item 108 on April 8, 2001 in Tim Krabbe's wonderful Open Chess Diary

http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess/chess.html

Yeah, from the same guy who thought the Pope was a problemist over a decade
after every other serious player knew it was a hoax. -- Doctor SBD

Unlike this so-called doctor, GM Evans publishes corrections whenever they
are called to his attention. The following Letter to the Editor from him was in
Chess Life, Winter 2004, page 6:

GAME A HOAX

Although widely quoted in many other sources, apparently the problem and game
attributed to Pope John Paul 11 in my column last January is a hoax.

Old June 6th 04, 09:02 PM
Doctor SBD

Liarry, unfortunately I cannot access that page. You make much ado about me
making corrections, but about what?

1. That Evans was one of the US's greatest grandmasters?

2. That his column was world-famous in the 1970s?

3. That it sucks now and is a source of disinformation?

4. That the rest of the chess world had known for over a decade that the Pope
was no problemist?

Can you be more specific in your - ahem - bile-filled tirades? If you want to
challenge something I said, it would be wise for you to specify what that is
instead of printing GM Evans sorry excuse for an excuse letter (why not in his
column, hell, that is just one less Jude Acers piece of nonsense).

Okie-dokie, my "so-called" journalist?

SBD

Old June 6th 04, 09:11 PM
Doctor SBD

BTW, a good reference on this - showing how by sloppy journalism, Larry Evans
has been hoodwinked not once, but twice, by this scam, can be found at:

http://www.astercity.net/~vistula/vatican.htm

I think by 1995 the entire chess world knew, and many disputed the Pope's
status as a player after the 1979 articles. I subscribed to several European
chess journals around that time, and most called it a hoax. But I sometimes
wonder, based on the Evans column, if Larry Evans himself has read anything on
chess in the last 20 years.

SBD

PS - Bill Smythe must be going crazy that a topic originally called Hitler and
chess is now the Pope and chess!