Old June 11th 04, 08:41 PM
joe mccarron

Default Did FIDE overlook any possible way to Screw chess up?

I am wondering if anyone can imagine how the FIDE could posssibly be
hurt chess anymore than it already has.

1) Canceled the Kasparov Karpov match at its most exciting point.
Sort of like calling off the superbowl in triple overtime.

2)Sure they didn't adopt Ficsher random or Capablanca chess. But of
course then it wouldn't be "chess." They really did try though - on a
whim they changed established time limits. They even force tiebreaks
for the title to be "blitz chess" which is as close to making chess a
diffrent game as you can without having to rename it something else.

3) Make the World champ more like a lottery winner by eliminating
match play and having a huge list of players play in a knock out
system - including what looks like some players who aren't even master
strength.

4)Decided to hold the world championships in place where not all are
welcome due to race.

5) Called off their end of the match which would fianlly reunify the
title.

These are all the types of screwups that I wouldn't be able to even
*imagine* happening if it wasn't for the FIDE actually doing them.
Are there anymore F___ up things we may need to watch for in the
future or did they already implement every type of screwup possible?
Old June 12th 04, 05:38 AM
NoMoreChess

..
IMO, FIDE could top their previous bungling by launching lawsuits against all
the top players. Each of them would need to hire an expensive lawyer, and
after a few more lawsuits and a few more lawyer's bills, many would seek other
forms of "employment."

Then, after driving away all the really good players with these lawsuits,
FIDE could declare that, say, Jason "Trollboy" Repa and Sam Sloan, were going
to battle it out in Antarctica for the World Chess Championship title, playing
blitz without clocks, and allowing up to four "takebacks" per player, per game.
After either player gains a substantive lead, it is to be cut in half to
prolong the match, and at this point the previously announced prize fund will
also be cut in half. Next, the two players will be forced to switch hotels,
and the one who is leading will get the top bunk, the other, the lower bunk (of
course, to save FIDE money, they are sharing a room). The ultimate winner will
not be announced until two years after the match has ended, to ensure that
nobody cares anymore.

Now, as to "improving" the rules of the game, I have a few ideas for FIDE to
look into.... :-)