Old June 13th 04, 04:17 PM
Miriling

Default Ray Charles' best advice to Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

The best advice that the late Ray Charles could have given to Kirsan
Ilyumzhinov, the FIDE president, was the following:

"Hit the Road, Jack"

George Mirijanian
Old June 14th 04, 10:13 AM
Parrthenon

An interview with Ray Charles was in CHESS LIFE, September 2002, in which he
stated that chess was his favorite game.
Old June 14th 04, 01:59 PM
Doctor SBD

I actually considered that a return to the quality Evans journalism of old, at
least for one issue. Unlike the infamous "Sting" simul article, Evans got the
late Mr. Charles to talk about a variety of topics of interest (who didn't like
Ray Charles?) and while GM Evans obviously held back in the game, that made it
more interesting. And really, Charles was a decent player, sighted or not; it
showed the connection between chess and music. And so on. Ah, Mr. Parr, I know
we both enjoyed that issue.

SBD
Old June 14th 04, 06:25 PM
Parrthenon

I actually considered that a return to the quality Evans journalism of old,
at
least for one issue. Unlike the infamous "Sting" simul article, Evans got the
late Mr. Charles to talk about a variety of topics of interest (who didn't like
Ray Charles?) and while GM Evans obviously held back in the game, that made it
more interesting. And really, Charles was a decent player, sighted or not; it
showed the connection between chess and music. And so on. Ah, Mr. Parr, I know
we both enjoyed that issue. -- SBD

Actually, that redoubtable critic John "take my urine, please" Fernandez didn't
seem to care for the Ray Charles interview: -- Got mine today. Man, we went
from Jenn Shahade to Ray Charles. Yucko.
(rec.games.chess.politics Date: 2002-08-06 21:48:45 PST )

I was fond of the last line of the interview: "His natural ability, alertness,
and quick sight of the board impressed me. If Ray Charles had devoted himself
to chess instead of music (God forbid!) in those early days in Georgia, he
might have been the first world-class blind player."

Incidentally GM Evans did not write the Sting piece. However, it was quite
perceptive of Doctor SBD to notice that he held back against Ray Charles.

Larry later told me his last move (24...Ke5? ) was inacccurate and instead
24...g5! would have won easily. Alas, Ray Charles gave up too soon (see
"Premature Resignation" in Chess Life November 2002, page 42).

wKc3,Pa2,b2,c2,f3,h2/bKe6,Pa5,c6,c7,f7,g7,h7

Position after 24 Kxc3

Old June 14th 04, 07:13 PM
Doctor SBD

If Ray Charles had devoted himself
to chess instead of music (God forbid!) in those early days in Georgia, he
might have been the first world-class blind player."

I loved that bit of dreaming; it may have been hyperbole, but it was fun, like
chess should be. He certainly looked to me like he could have at least made US
Blind Champ if he had taken the game seriously.

Incidentally GM Evans did not write the Sting piece.

I know, and hopefully did not imply it. I meant to show a contrast in how a
celebrity chess article can be trash or class.

Old June 14th 04, 07:19 PM
Doctor SBD

However, it was quite
perceptive of Doctor SBD to notice that he held back against Ray Charles.

I make no claim on excellence in chess analysis, but I hope I am strong enough
to notice that (IM Otto Borik cited some of my endgame analysis - and named an
endgame after me and another professor, in the German magazine 64 earlier this
year, callling it "Das Professoren Endspiel". Thats about as close as I get to
my 15 minutes of fame in chess).

SBD
Old June 14th 04, 10:05 PM
TheBOBSFan

"Parrthenon" wrote in message ...
[...]

Although the article may have been well-written, I found Mr. Evans' questions leading and insulting. I also interpreted Mr.
Charles' retorts as quite irritated. "Huh? Why is a famous chessplayer like you insulting me like this? OK, you're better than
me. Sheesh, who claimed otherwise?"

TBF

Old June 15th 04, 03:12 AM
Parrthenon

Although the article may have been well-written, I found Mr. Evans' questions
leading and insulting. I also interpreted Mr. Charles' retorts as quite
irritated. "Huh? Why is a famous chessplayer like you insulting me like this?
OK, you're better than
me. Sheesh, who claimed otherwise?" -- TBF

Did we read the same article? Where did that quote come from?

GM Evans' questions were probing, never disrespecful. The two of them got
along famously and -- far from being irritated -- Ray Charles said he looked
forward to another game when they met again.

In my view, readers got a pretty good insight into the mind of a music legend
not usually found in such interviews.

GM Evans knows what every good journalist has learned: you can't please
everyone -- nor should you try!
Old June 15th 04, 03:55 AM
TheBOBSFan

"Parrthenon" wrote in message ...

Did we read the same article? Where did that quote come from?

My apologies. I assumed from my context that the quote was understood to be 'my interpretation' of the 'meaning' of his retorts,
hidden by the bland starkness of the words used, limited in interpretation by the mere fact that they were printed rather than
spoken.

Sorry if I misled you, sir. I respect your history with regard to chess, and although I may disagree with some of your opinions, I
would not let that influence the respect I have for you.

TBF