Old June 16th 04, 07:28 PM
Bill Smythe

Default Bill Brock's many truths

Okay, Bill B, here's your chance.

Bill Smythe

Old June 17th 04, 01:07 AM
Bill Brock

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message ...
Okay, Bill B, here's your chance.

Bill Smythe

Pretty boring topic, isn't it?
Old June 17th 04, 10:28 AM
NoMoreChess

..
In my view, Goran Tomic has many faults, but his nationality itself is
not one of them. It seems to me that perhaps some of his American critics
could be somewhat more tolerant of Goran Tomic if he were perceived as a
'fellow American' rather than as belonging to a country that has recently
fought a war against the United States.

An interesting viewpoint.

But let's face it: Goran Tomic has posted some really "out-there" rants, and
claims to be currently "hunting down" all those posters who have bothered him
in the past, to "scrub" them from usenet. He mis-labels their
anti-Fischer/anti-Tomic postings as "spam," when in reality, Spam is a meaty,
tasty treat, made from (we interrupt this commercial at the most opportune
moment).

In fact, Goran Tomic is not being attacked for his nationality, but for his
wacky postings; and he is not only attacked by Americans, for even lowly
Britts, Canadians, and various other, lesser nationalities (Star Spangled
Banner plays softly in the background...) can likely figure out that there's
something rotten in Denmark (or Serbia).

But enough already about Goran Tomic -- let's talk about *Bill Brock*! I
hear he has a full head of hair, and were he to play at chess21, he would
likely be an IM already! Whatta guy!
Born William Brock III, his parents moved to Chicago when he was three (and
already beating his uncles at chess). He entered his first tournament -- the
Chicago Open -- at the age of five, placing narrowly behind Fischer and Mednis,
to each of whom he surrendered draws due to inexperience in the endgame. When
he was ten, a dispute with FIDE's Tony Macaroni -- then Chief Honcho and
virtual dictator -- caused him to miss out on his best shot at the title --
just after Fischer had retired! But FIDE was just the tip of the iceberg, for
the USCF also had it in for Bill from the get-go, and had effectively prevented
him from breaking Walter Browne's record of US Championship victories.
Nevertheless, Bill continued playing informally, and it is rummored that
whenever Bobby Fischer comes to the Windy City, the first person he looks up
when he wants a good game is none other than Bill Brock! After leaving Bill's
place, Bobby likes to stop off at John Fernandez' house, for a few internet
blitz games on chess21.com (playing under John's ID, to avoid detection, of
course). To no one's surprise, Fischer has yet to surrender even a single
draw, and "his" internet blitz rating continues to climb rapidly, despite the
occasional participation of Fernandez.
But enough about Fischer, already! Let's get back to Bill Brock! :-)

Old June 17th 04, 05:08 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Nick,

Heil Dubya!

I can't remember the last time a country, as a state, REALLY " ... fought a war
against the United States." In my reckoning, the United States bombs other
countries from thousands of meters in the sky (such as Libya) and/or hires
mercenaries (usually through the CIA) for a "civil war" (such as Nicaragua)
and/or sends in its own mercenaries (poverty draftees, such as my grandson) to
demolish a helpless "adversary", such as Afghanistan or Iraq.

Why do you say of Goran Tomic that he belongs " ... to a country that has
recently
fought a war against the United States."?

In my view, Goran Tomic has many faults, but his nationality itself is
not one of them. It seems to me that perhaps some of his American critics
could be somewhat more tolerant of Goran Tomic if he were perceived as a
'fellow American' rather than as belonging to a country that has recently
fought a war against the United States.

--Nick

(Much snipped from Mr. Bourbaki's post.)

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan, Irak und Hati. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka ber Alles!

(The more information that comes out about the attacks on the Twin Towers and
the Pentagon of 11 September 2001 the more it appears that those attacks were
organized by the rulers of the United States and were intended to have the same
effect on the people of the United States that the Reichstag fire had on the
people of Germany in 1933.)

Fight terrorism! Dissolve the CIA and disarm the Pentagon! (I have watched
the hearings of the Commission to investigate the attacks on the Twin Towers
and the Pentagon of 11 September 2001. As a result, I have become convinced
that every one of the witnesses and their four Presidents - and every one of
the Commissioners - should be tried for:
(1. Conspiracy to commit terrorism; and/or
(2. Commission of terrorist acts; and/or
(3. Conspiracy to commit murder; and/or
(4. Commission of murder; and/or
(5. Treason; and/or
(6. Suborning one or more of the above acts.)

Fraternally,

Jerry Bibuld
gens una sumus

Old June 17th 04, 05:45 PM
Matt Nemmers

"Jerome Bibuld" wrote in message

Dear Nick,

I can't remember the last time a country, as a state, REALLY " ... fought

a war
against the United States." In my reckoning, the United States bombs

other
countries from thousands of meters in the sky (such as Libya) and/or

hires
mercenaries (usually through the CIA) for a "civil war" (such as

Nicaragua)
and/or sends in its own mercenaries (poverty draftees, such as my

grandson) to
demolish a helpless "adversary", such as Afghanistan or Iraq.

As expected, Ol' Jerry buries his head in the sand and believes that the
U.S. is ALWAYS the bully. He wants things to be very definitive -- a
country that headlines in local and national newspapers "[insert country
here] DECLARES WAR ON UNITED STATES" -- when wars these days are very
subversive and rarely utilize overt tactics to dessimate their adversary
(e.g. 9/11). And of course, he'll never be happy with U.S. military actions
unless G.W. gives him the inside scoop on who, what, where, and most
importantly, WHY.

So predictable......

SNIPPED meaningless drivel

Regards,

Matt

Old June 18th 04, 03:46 AM
Nick

ospam (Jerome Bibuld) wrote in message
I can't remember the last time a country, as a state, REALLY " ... fought
a war against the United States." In my reckoning, the United States bombs
other countries from thousands of meters in the sky (such as Libya) and/or
hires mercenaries (usually through the CIA) for a "civil war" (such as
Nicaragua) and/or sends in its own mercenaries (poverty draftees, such as
my grandson) to demolish a helpless "adversary", such as Afghanistan or Iraq.

Why do you say of Goran Tomic that he belongs " ... to a country
that has recently fought a war against the United States."?

Dear Mr. Bibuld,

Actually, I wrote that Goran Tomic has been 'perceived', it seems
to me, by 'some of his American critics' as 'belonging to a country
that has recently fought a war against the United States.'

In a RGCP thread, "Observations concerning Goran Tomic" (4 May 2004),
Goran Tomic evidently wrote (to Ken Albin) that he resides in or near
Cetinje, Montenegro. As far as I can tell from his writings, Goran
Tomic is a Serb and a citizen of Yugoslavia, now known as
Serbia-Montenegro.

In 1999, the United States and some of its NATO allies fought a war,
which was primarily a bombing campaign in support of the KLA (Kosovo
Liberation Army), against Yugoslavia. A few United States aeroplanes
were shot down by the Yugoslav air defences. Amnesty International
has accused NATO of violating international law (or committing war
crimes, to put it another way) by directly attacking civilian targets,
such as a state television building in Belgrade, which killed sixteen
people on 23 April 1999. In the interest of balance, it should be
noted that the Yugoslav Army or Serbian militias were accused of
committing many crimes against the ethnic Albanians in Kosovo.

Here's a BBC News article about the Amnesty International report:

Here's a critical book by an American academic about the conflict:
"To Kill a Nation: The Attack on Yugoslavia" by Michael Parenti
(who has a Ph.D. in political science from Yale University).

(I do *not* necessarily concur with what Michael Parenti has written.)

Nick wrote:
In my view, Goran Tomic has many faults, but his nationality itself is
not one of them. It seems to me that perhaps some of his American critics
could be somewhat more tolerant of Goran Tomic if he were perceived as a
'fellow American' rather than as belonging to a country that has recently
fought a war against the United States.

For the benefit of the less literate readers here, I was *not* saying
that Goran Tomic should not be criticised. There are many good reasons
to criticise him, and I have criticised Goran Tomic *for what he has
written in the chess newsgroups*, *not* on account of his nationality
or ethnic heritage.

As I recall, in 2003 an apparently American writer (whom Goran Tomic
believes, plausibly enough *on that point*, based on the evidence
known to me, to have been Tim Hanke) wrote several posts under the
pseudonyms of "M.T. Scriboman" or "Doctor Alekhine" that seemed to
be personal attacks against Goran Tomic on account of Mr Tomic's
Yugoslav nationality or Serbian heritage.

In the thread, "Tim Hanke's Cultural Prejudice" (created by Don
Mihokovich), Don Mihokovich wrote (13 May 2003) about Tim Hanke:
"You can now add to that his recent comments condemning the entire Serbian
culture as a whole for the acts of some Serbs. To Tim (Hanke), it appears
that once a group of people from any culture other than his own commit a
wrong, the entire culture must be condemned as a whole. And of course,
anybody who disagrees with Tim must be 'stupid' or 'ignorant' or the like."
--Don Mihokovich (13 May 2003, "Tim Hanke's Cultural Prejudice")

The 'English' prose style(s) of the writer now known here as 'GMGoRanTOMIC'
and the writer who was known as 'M.T. Scriboman' or 'Doctor Alekhine'
seem to show significant similarities.

--Nick