Old June 17th 04, 06:55 PM

Default Gata Kamsky is back !!!!

Grandmaster Gata Kamsky played in the Marshall Chess Club Tuesday
Night Masters Tournament two days ago.

This is the first time that Kamsky has played in a USCF rated
tournament in ten years!!!

Kamsky tied for first, defeating Grandmaster Blatny and scoring 3-1
against a field with an average rating of 2425. This gave him a
performancy rating of about 2625. This is a minor drop from his last
published rating of 2784 but it is a great result for a player who has
not played since his world championship match with Karpov, except for
his three game match with future world champion Khalifman in 1999.

As I reported on my website and at
http://www.samsloan.com/gatafide.htm Gata Kamsky was in law school
(not medical school) and was scheduled to graduate in May. He did not
want to be bothered with chess until then.

May has now passed and this undoubtedly explains why Kamsky is
suddenly playing.

Meanwhile, I have received several telephone calls from Roustam Kamsky
saying that Gata does not want to run for President of FIDE and I
should say that my previous report was a joke.

I will say however that from the e-mails I have received if Gata
Kamsky were really to run for President of FIDE he would be elected
overwhelmingly.

The cross-table of the tournament in which Gata Kamsky just played is
posted at http://www.newyorkmasters.com/xtables/xtable106.html

I hope that John Fernandez took his picture, because Gata looks vastly
different from the last time in which he played.

Old June 17th 04, 08:44 PM
HAASpittle

"This is the first time that Kamsky has played in a USCF rated tournament in
ten years!!!" (Sam Sloan)
============
The earth shakes, or something. Maybe it was just a truck going by.

Haas
Old June 17th 04, 09:21 PM
Chris Ball

On 17 Jun 2004 17:55:38 GMT, (Sam Sloan) said:

The cross-table of the tournament in which Gata Kamsky just
played is posted at
http://www.newyorkmasters.com/xtables/xtable106.html

And the games themselves are at the bottom of:

http://www.newyorkmasters.com/games/newyorkmasters.pgn

Kamsky's two wins were in 43 and 34 moves, both very convincing.
Great to see an exciting new (well, old) world-class competitor.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~cjb/
Inference Group: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/is/
Old June 17th 04, 09:54 PM
John Fernandez

At 01:46 PM 6/17/2004, Sam Sloan wrote:
Grandmaster Gata Kamsky played in the Marshall Chess Club Tuesday Night
Masters Tournament two days ago, June 15, 2004.

Please get the name right. It's the New York Masters, hosted at the
Marshall Chess Club.

This is the first time that Kamsky has played in a USCF rated tournament in
ten years!!!

But he played last 5 years ago.

Kamsky tied for first, defeating Grandmaster Blatny and scoring 3-1 against
a field with an average rating of 2425. This gave him a performance rating
of about 2625. This is a minor drop from his last published rating of 2784
but it is a great result for a player who has not played since his world
championship match with Karpov, except for his three game match with future
world champion Khalifman in 1999.

I wouldn't say it was a great result. After all, even a 2100 player made
3-1 Tuesday night. The rust was very obvious.

As I reported on my website and at http://www.samsloan.com/gatafide.htm
Gata Kamsky was in law school (not medical school) and was scheduled to
graduate in May. He did not want to be bothered with chess until then.

May has now passed and this undoubtedly explains why Kamsky is suddenly
playing. By now he should be a father too!

Meanwhile, I have received several telephone calls from Roustam Kamsky
saying that Gata does not want to run for President of FIDE and I should
say that my previous report was a joke.

I will say however that from the e-mails I have received if Gata Kamsky
were really to run for President of FIDE he would be elected overwhelmingly.

I don't care to discuss his personal life. It's his life, and not my place
to talk about it.

The cross-table of the tournament in which Gata Kamsky just played is
posted at http://www.newyorkmasters.com/xtables/xtable106.html

I hope that John Fernandez took his picture, because Gata looks vastly
different from the last time in which he played.

Sam Sloan

Gata asked that no pictures be taken. I respect it. I'll figure out what to
do about the website photo.

John Fernandez

Old June 18th 04, 04:53 AM
Fifiela

I hope that John Fernandez took his picture, because Gata looks vastly
different from the last time in which he played.

We ALL look vastly different from the last time Gata played.

Best, Allan

Old June 18th 04, 12:24 PM
Ray Gordon

Kamsky's two wins were in 43 and 34 moves, both very convincing.
Great to see an exciting new (well, old) world-class competitor.

He also saved a draw with a sacrifice and perpetual check in a very exciting
game covered on ICC.

Old June 18th 04, 02:53 PM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:24:25 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

Kamsky's two wins were in 43 and 34 moves, both very convincing.
Great to see an exciting new (well, old) world-class competitor.

He also saved a draw with a sacrifice and perpetual check in a very exciting
game covered on ICC.

You are talking about this one:

[Event "106th New York Masters"]
[Site "New York"]
[Date "2004.06.15"]
[Round "02"]
[White "Scekic, Milos"]
[Black "Kamsky, Gata"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "A07"]
[WhiteElo "2405"]
[BlackElo "2717"]

1.Nf3 d5 2.g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 c6 4.O-O Bg4 5.d3 e6 6.Nbd2 Nbd7 7.h3 Bh5
8.Qe1 Bd6 9.e4 Qc7 10.Nh2 g5 11.d4 dxe4 12.Nxe4 Nxe4 13.Qxe4 Nf6
14.Qe3 h6 15.c4 O-O-O 16.c5 Be7 17.b4 Nd5 18.Qa3 a6 19.Qb3 Bf6
20.Bb2 Bg6 21.a4 h5 22.b5 a5 23.Nf3 Nb4 24.Bc3 g4 25.hxg4 hxg4
26.Ne5 Bxe5 27.dxe5 Bc2 28.Qb2 f5 29.exf6 Qh7 30.Rfe1 Bd3 31.Re2
Nc2 32.bxc6 bxc6 33.Rb1 Qh2+ 34.Kf1 Ne3+ 35.fxe3 Qxg2+ 36.Kxg2
Be4+ 1/2-1/2

Yes. Nice finish and difficult to see.