Old June 18th 04, 01:54 AM
Michael Sayers

Default MARK TAIMANOV - CONCERT PIANIST ?!

If anyone here has a recording of Taimanov's playing (which I assume
would be from decades ago - he looks way too out of shape to have
sustained a sizable career anytime during the last 30 years), I can
provide you with compensation for the recording. I would prefer
details for the recording (date, venue, auspices, and piano used; if
there is an orchestra, the name of the orchestra, and the conductor's
name). The compensation can either be monetary, or else a mutual
exchange of recordings. I have an archive of pianistic recordings,
which were never released commercially, and which so far have only
circulated privately amongst pianophiles and connoisseurs of rare -
yet important - recordings.

I would be interested to hear if his playing is in anyway different
than the excessively literal, noncreative, correct-notes
correct-rhythms approach that has come to dominate classical music,
and classical pianism in particular, since WWI. I would like to hear
his sense of piano tone and colour, and to have information on his
concert repertoire (concerto and solo works), venues of performance,
avenues of instruction, and musical colleagues/acquaintances.

In my own pianistic work and researches, I have never seen any
reference to his performing outside of chess literature. Taimanov is
so obscure a performer, there may be no extant recordings unless he
has kept his an archive related to his own musical activities.

Regards,
Michael Sayers
Old June 18th 04, 02:16 AM
Doctor SBD

There is a double CD available of Taimanov playing with his more famous pianist
wife. I bought it a few years back, and I would bet you could find it on
Amazon. If not, let me know.

SBD
Old June 18th 04, 02:20 AM
The Green Bastard from Parts Unknown

Michael Sayers wrote:
[...]

Here is a link to a recording he made with Lyubov Bruk.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...e=200405061941

Price appears to be 22.98 USD.

GBFPU

Old June 18th 04, 05:05 AM
Fifiela

There is a double CD available of Taimanov playing with his more famous
pianist wife.

I saw that in a cut-out bin once; Didn't have the $4.98 plus tax at the time.
Old June 18th 04, 01:18 PM
Chess One

Dear Michael Sayers,

I recently interviewed Mark, and as part of the process ensured that the 2
CD set of his recordings with Lyubov Bruk were still available from
Phillips. We placed an image of the CDs at the end of the interview, and
clicking it leads you to Amazon (I think) where you can buy them for about
$24.

In fact, there are two MT articles, one in a series called 20Questions, and
the other in Lessons Learned where MT reviewed his 3rd match game against R.
J. Fischer.

Both are at the website: www.chessville.com

If you are only interested in the CDs try www.amazon.com directly.

Side note: As one of the 20 Questions is about music and chess: [MT likes to
compare chessplayers to composers] I thought it was a good idea to ask him
to whom he would compare his own style of play. You can read his reply in
the article. Our editorial group would collated the questions had a few bets
going, and "Jimmy Hendrix" got no points, neither did my guess of
Rachmaninov.

Maybe if you obtain the CDs you can give us your impressions of his music?

Interestingly he made comments about the overall spiritual balance of chess
players, saying that for himself chess provided a rigorous intellectual
stimulus, but music an emotional one. He somewhat contrasted this experience
with certain youths of today's chess scene who do not have such all round
balance.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy reading both articles, and of course the music
which features: Rachmaninoff, Arensky, Busoni, Poulenc, Milhaud, Chopin.

The sleeve notes of the music CD have pictures of him playing chess - one of
them is of a match in Central America, and looking over his shoulder is Che
Guevara! This picture is actually reduced from the whole and if the camera
were to be drawn back you could note that the GM is playing a very young
Larry Evans.

om...

Old June 18th 04, 03:48 PM
Michael Sayers

The Green ******* from Parts Unknown wrote in message news:[email protected]
Michael Sayers wrote:
[...]

Those are all two piano compositions. I am looking for piano solo
recordings (incl. concerto recordings), not chamber music. It seems,
though, that he and Bruk toured as a piano-duo team, but neither was
particularly distinguished as a soloist. So, there may be no solo
recordings to speak of.

The fact that the recordings are in Philips' "great pianists" series
makes me skeptical that they are of any musical significance. But the
recording dates are 1959-68, which is consistent with what I wrote
about someone in Mark Taimanov's present shape not being able to have
had a sizeable career during the last 30 years. Most pianists perform
longer than they should. Only the very greatest pianists - such as
Nyiregyhazi and Horowitz - can retain the bulk of their powers into
their 60s and 70s.

I am interested in Mark Taimanov's solo recordings because the USSR
kept its pianists to a large extent isolated from Europe and the
States, with the result that - contrary to the notion of there being a
"Russian school" of pianism - they seem to have preserved for a longer
period of time a certain freedom and pliancy of tone. This is plainly
audible at certain moments and passages in the recordings of Gilels,
Richter, Horowitz, Rachmaninoff, Maria Yudina and Hofmann. Whether or
not this is a faint reverberation from a time, beginning with the
performances of Beethoven, and ending with the deaths of Liszt, Anton
Rubinstein and Ferruccio Busoni, when nearly all pianists were as
individualistic and as searching as Ervin Nyiregyhazi was during the
20th century, is debateable - but I am inclined to think that it is
almost certainly true, based on all the available evidence.

Hofmann's surges of power in his live 1930s recitals, for instance,
certainly are echos of things he heard Anton Rubinstein do.

I found these links on the net:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=320
http://www.chessville.com/Editorials...s/Taimanov.htm

Regards,
Michael Sayers

P.S. - For those who don't know, both Prokofiev and Moritz Rosenthal
were good chess players. Ervin Nyiregyhazi briefly considered a
career as a professional chess player.
Old June 18th 04, 06:38 PM
Goran Tomic

"Michael Sayers"

OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc.
OrgID: LVLT
Address: 1025 Eldorado Blvd.
City: Broomfield
StateProv: CO
PostalCode: 80021
Country: US

Old June 18th 04, 07:34 PM

(Michael Sayers) writes:

If anyone here has a recording of Taimanov's playing (which I assume
would be from decades ago - he looks way too out of shape to have
sustained a sizable career anytime during the last 30 years), I can
provide you with compensation for the recording.

I got mine from Amazon. Bruk and Taimanov are in
the "great pianists" series. It's a two CD set for
about $25. All performances come from the period
before about 1973, when the duo broke up. In the
liner notes Taimanov says that his later solo
career was not terribly successful.

[...]

His career was almost entirely duets with Bruk - they
began performing together at age 12 and later married.
There is a hint - and I may be reading it wrong - in the
lecture notes that their taste in music didn't exactly
coincide, so the repertoire was a compromise.

If you ever find that they did the Vaughan Williams
concerto for two pianos, let me know.

In my own pianistic work and researches, I have never seen any
reference to his performing outside of chess literature. Taimanov is
so obscure a performer, there may be no extant recordings

Aside from the above I recall that there were Melodya
recordings in the 1960s. I was never able to order
any, however.

William Hyde
EOS Department
Duke University
Old June 18th 04, 11:48 PM
Michael Sayers

"Chess One" wrote in message .. .
[...]

Greetings,

In order to evaluate his playing, I would need a recording (preferably
live) of Mark Taimanov performing solo (or with orchestra). I
wouldn't want it in order to make a public statement on the qualities
of his playing, but just to add to my perception of Russian pianists
as keeping (until recent decades) a freedom and pliancy of tone that
had disappeared almost entirely from the playing of pianists in the US
and Europe about 20 years earlier.

Regards,
Michael Sayers
Old June 18th 04, 11:57 PM
Michael Sayers

"Goran Tomic" wrote in message ...
"Michael Sayers"

OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc.
OrgID: LVLT
Address: 1025 Eldorado Blvd.
City: Broomfield
StateProv: CO
PostalCode: 80021
Country: US

I don't understand what is to be inferred from your missive. I have
already explained that I am presently in the States, and will be back
in England before the end of this summer. As for the State of
Colorado, I have never been inside its borders.

Regards,
Michael Sayers