Old June 20th 04, 01:14 AM
Bugsy

Default Gaddafi bans Israeli team from world chess championship

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...0/ixworld.html

Gaddafi bans Israeli team from world chess championship

By Inigo Gilmore in Jerusalem

(Filed: 20/06/2004)

Israel's national chess body has said that it plans to sue Libya and the
World Chess Federation (Fide) for barring its team from the official world
chess championship in Tripoli where play began recently.

It is not just the Israelis who are absent. Only two of the top 10 players
in Fide's rankings have turned up following protests that Garry Kasparov,
the world number one, would be allowed to play the tournament winner without
having to participate in the qualifying rounds.

The exclusion of Israel is a severe embarrassment to Fide, whose motto is
Gens una sumus - We are all one people. Mohammed Gaddafi, the son of Libyan
leader Col Muammar Gaddafi, only landed the contest for his country after
promising that Israeli players would be allowed in to play. Last month he
went back on his pledge, however, describing the Israelis as "the Zionist
enemy". He said they would not be invited to the championships, for which
Libya is putting up $1.5 million, equivalent to 820,000, in prize money.
Yerach Tal, a spokesman for the Israeli Chess Association, said the ban
meant that his country's team, which is one of the strongest in the region,
would suffer financial loss.

"We are consulting our legal adviser on the possibility of suing both Fide
and the Libyans for compensation for the damages incurred by our exclusion
from this tournament," he said. Israel would push for assurances from Fide
over future tournaments, said Mr Tal. "We have asked Fide that in the
future, a condition for a country hosting a major event is that it must
accept teams of any nationality," he said.

There had been earlier expectations that Col Gaddafi would use the
opportunity to play host to Israeli chess players to bolster his efforts to
rehabilitate his international image and distance himself from his links to
militant Palestinian groups.

Players arriving in Tripoli for Friday's opening ceremony played down the
controversy. "Libya was the only country that made a bid to host the Fide
championship so it is not really Fide's fault," said Nigel Short, the
British grandmaster who is competing in the event.

Old June 20th 04, 04:20 AM
none

Bugsy wrote:
[...]

Please keep spamming the same topic.
Old June 20th 04, 07:20 PM
Noah Roberts

Bugsy wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...0/ixworld.html

Gaddafi bans Israeli team from world chess championship

Posting this once was enough to get your point across. Now it is just
annoying.

*plonk*

Old June 20th 04, 09:57 PM
Ray Gordon

Gaddafi bans Israeli team from world chess championship

Posting this once was enough to get your point across. Now it is just
annoying.

*plonk*

It's worth repeating until someone takes a stand.

Old June 21st 04, 07:46 AM
Terry

It's worth repeating until someone takes a stand.

Agreed

Old June 21st 04, 07:20 PM
Anders Thulin

Ray Gordon wrote:

Gaddafi bans Israeli team from world chess championship

Posting this once was enough to get your point across. Now it is just
annoying.

*plonk*

It's worth repeating until someone takes a stand.

For or against?

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath