Old June 20th 04, 10:48 PM
ASCACHESS

Default USCF Anti-Semites?

Can it be true?
Can the United States be sending a team to Libya while Israel cannot go because
they are forbidden to go by the Libyans?

Has FIDE OK'd this?
Are we really one or are some pigs more equal than others? Those who have the
gold make ALL the rules.

This is the slippery slope of having a board with no moral compass and no
ethics of any kind. It is one more example of USCF insiders telling the
membership to follow us... off the cliff.

Given the USCF's "pinochet" for selling its virtue to the highest bidder, the
organization is collapsing into low rent KKK. Can Jews or any person who
supports the idea of the brotherhood of man and democratic principles continue
to be a member of this organization?
At the very least, isn't a boycott of USChess Sales in order? Money is all
these people understand.
Isn't every purchase from USChess Sales a tacit act of support for racism and
anti-semitism? Perhaps with less gold, the Executive Board will see things
more democratically.

By sending a team, we have sunk to the equivalency of sending an all white
chess team to a tournament in apartheid South Africa. We didn't do it then and
we should not be doing it now.

Richard Peterson

Old June 20th 04, 11:25 PM
John Fernandez

Can it be true?
Can the United States be sending a team to Libya while Israel cannot go
because
they are forbidden to go by the Libyans?

US isn't sending a team. USCF is not supporting any of the players financially.

Israelis were allowed to play, their supporting persons were not allowed entry.
For US and Israeli players, they said they'd give you the visa when you got to
Tripoli, which sounded pretty dicey, but it worked.

John Fernandez

Old June 21st 04, 12:01 AM
John Fernandez

USCF didn't push the pieces.....two Americans are doing that.

Yeah, good USCF policy: "Don't go, and earn your money, and be professional
players. We'll offer nothing in exchange, except some warm fuzzies."

John Fernandez
Old June 21st 04, 12:22 AM
Ray Gordon

USCF didn't push the pieces.....two Americans are doing that.

Yeah, good USCF policy: "Don't go, and earn your money, and be

professional
players. We'll offer nothing in exchange, except some warm fuzzies."

It's not about USCF, it's about the players.

Some things are more important than money. This is one.

Old June 21st 04, 12:34 AM
David

Israelis were allowed to play, their supporting persons were not allowed

entry.

Effectively putting them in a different event.

For US and Israeli players, they said they'd give you the visa when you

got to
Tripoli, which sounded pretty dicey, but it worked.

Worked if individuals were willing to accept the risk. There is no valid
reason for requiring this risk for the event.

John, I understand that you are a strong supporter of international chess,
and of your personal international rating, but this is over the top with
respect to suggesting that all players had parity in this event.

David

--
without the block

Old June 21st 04, 01:11 AM
Fifiela

Some things are more important than money.

Other than his rating points, I have never seen any principle more important
than money to John.
Old June 21st 04, 01:12 AM
Fifiela

For US and Israeli players, they said they'd give you the visa when you got
Tripoli, which sounded pretty dicey, but it worked.

Are there any Israeli players who went to Tripoli?
Old June 21st 04, 01:22 AM
John Fernandez

Are there any Israeli players who went to Tripoli?

No, but that doesn't mean the system didn't work. We can verify from the
Americans that went and had no problems, that it did work.

John Fernandez
Old June 21st 04, 02:28 AM
John Fernandez

Effectively putting them in a different event.

I don't follow. All would have played the same event, at the same place and so
on and so forth.

Worked if individuals were willing to accept the risk. There is no valid
reason for requiring this risk for the event.

What was the option, though?

US players yell at FIDE for not holding an event. They have a bidding process,
only one place comes up with the money and venue and all. All players are
allowed to play. If they DON'T hold the event, they will get roasted. If they
DO hold it, they get roasted. What's the equitable option here?

Personally, I like to see politics and chess politics interfering as little as
possible. The last thing I think we want in chess is to blacklist every Arab
state and Israel because of this situation. World situation is a mess, let's
just play chess.

John, I understand that you are a strong supporter of international chess,
and of your personal international rating, but this is over the top with
respect to suggesting that all players had parity in this event.

It's far from ideal, of course. Better this, than no tourney at all, though, I
feel. It will help accelerate re-unification and allow things to run a bit
better.

John Fernandez