Old June 27th 04, 12:04 PM
byrne

Default Bobby Fischer is the greatest and he is playing today

Fischer's chess teacher Jack Collins says:

How strong was Bobby? I remember the 1966-67 New Year's Eve party at our
home. At the time Bobby was competing in and winning his final U. S.
Championship. Several grandmasters were present, and there was plenty of
eating and drinking. By 2 a. m. Bobby wanted to play some chess, and he had
in mind a certain strong international master. But Bobby had drunk quite a
bit more than his opponent, and he insisted on playing blindfold blitz chess
while the opponent had sight of the board. Still, he won effortlessly.

Regards,
byrne

Użytkownik "George Orwell" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
"bruno de baenst" wrote...
There is no way that any gm and especially not a 60 year old gm(yes,

older
people are slower) could crush computers consistently at 2 min chess. The
only thing that can do this is a computer running on very strong

hardware,
probably using the help of a strong player who can choose if he makes the
move (using computer analysis) or the computer. If this is the case this
would be an easy explanation why the computer doesn't make exactly same
moves as engines that you checked.
Of course fischer is a fantastic player , arguably the best ever, but

even
at his peek he surely did not crush his rivals with this force in blitz.
It's been proven by many that you can write a client that can connect to

icc
servers which uses direct computer analyses so that you can play bullet
games too, so the fast time control is no prove at all that it is a human
either.
There have been thousands of fischer imposters on the net, really
unbelievable that people still fall for it.

You think much as I used to, you should log onto ICC every day and hunt
(using the method I described in another post) until you find him.

Watching
is believing.
Checking my records, you are right about 2 0. I have only a couple games

of
him against a computer at 2 0. While he won both, the opponent was
EggSalad, who is rated under 3000. I have a few fine wins by him against
very highly ranked computers, but this is at 3 0. Openings much the same,
though - a direct provocation to the opponent.
You are totally wrong about Fischer's blitz strength in verified
over-the-board play. He was 300-400 ELO stronger than anyone else at 5 0

or
faster. He destroyed GM Arthur Bisguier with a score of about 30-0 over a
couple of blitz sessions. And at the World Blitz Championships in April

'70
at the Hotel Plaza at Herceg Novi (double round-robin tourney, 5 0) he
scored 19/22. Actually, he was very unlucky not to score more - his draw
against David Bronstein was the result of a fingerfehler (by my analysis)
when he was under no time pressure at all, and exactly the same applied in
another game (I forget which). So I count that as a 91% result from

Bobby -
in a tournament where almost half the participants were or were soon going
to be undisputed World Champion (Tal, Petrosian, Bronstein, Smyslov and
Fischer himself)! And to me Viktor Korchnoi was the legitimate World
Champion (sorry, Bobby) after the fiasco with the hypnotist and the family
blackmail, which makes it 6 out of 12 participants World Champions, plus
three top-ranking Championship caliber players, plus Sammy Reshevsky (one
of the strongest three or four in the world the fifties).
Here is the official result table from Herceg Novi:
1. Fischer 19
2. Tal 14.5
3. Korchnoi 14
4. Petrosian 13.5
5. Bronstein 13
6. Hort 12
7. Matulovic 10.5
8. Smyslov 9.5
9. Reshevsky 8.5
10. Uhlman 8
11. Ivkov 7.5
12. Ostojic 2
That is an incredible, unsurpassed and unbelievable performance.
Only now I have followed Bobby playing today (well, a month back the last
time) can I appreciate just how much better he is than the rest, as the
World Blitz Championship proved. And the time scores at Herceg Novi were
all the more amazing - in most of his games, Bobby used less than half the
allotted time, and his opponents were totally lost by the time their flags
fell.
Or perhaps you believe Fischer was using a hidden computer,lol!
Another mistake you make is to assume that high-speed chess skills
deteriorate (more) with age.Bronstein, Smyslov, Lasker and others are
testimony to the opposite effect - all are/were more formidable as "old
men" at blitz than they were when younger. Bronstein wrote an article

about
this effect somewhere (in the last 3-4 years). I think "experience counts"
more at blitz. The long tiring calculations of 40/2 (or even 30 0) is

where
age takes a heavy toll.
Last, that there have been thousands of imposters does not at all mean

that
Bobby is not playing.
I suggest you check through Bobby's games at Herceg Novi in 1970 with your
Fritz or Shredder. You may come to very interesting conclusions that he

was
cheating,lol..

Old June 28th 04, 06:49 AM
NoMoreChess

..
Fischer's chess teacher Jack Collins says:

How strong was Bobby? I remember the 1966-67 New Year's Eve party at our
home. At the time Bobby was competing in and winning his final U. S.
Championship. Several grandmasters were present, and there was plenty of
eating and drinking. By 2 a. m. Bobby wanted to play some chess, and he had
in mind a certain strong international master. But Bobby had drunk quite a
bit more than his opponent, and he insisted on playing blindfold blitz chess
while the opponent had sight of the board. Still, he won effortlessly.

This is supposed to "prove" that Fischer was a nite-owl, and fully worthy to
challenge Alekhine for the world title: drunken grandmaster extroadinaire?

By 2 a.m. most people are getting sleepy, but not Bobby Fischer (who slept
half the day).

How strong was Bobby? I remember in 1966-67 at a party in Moscow, where
Tigran and Boris were analysing an old Botvinnik endgame (with help from their
old friend, Russian Vodka), and a strange thing happenned: Bobby Fischer
suddenly walked in the room and asked -- "Are there any weak IM's around here
who want to play me, drunk and blindfolded at 2 a.m. New Yawk time, for money?"
He then passed out and the analysis of the interesting endgame resumed. No
takers! That's just how strong he was. :-)