Old June 27th 04, 05:39 PM
Matt Nemmers

Default Navy & Air Force tie for first at 2004 Interservice Chess Championships

The Navy and Air Force each scored 32 points at this years Interservice
Chess Championships at Keesler AFB, making them co-champions for 2004. They
were followed closely by the Army in third with the Marine Corps taking
fourth. The tournament was won outright by PN1(SW) Narcisso Victoria.

The tournament was a real nail-biter going into the final rounds. The Navy
trailed the Air Force by three and a half points during Round 8, but rallied
as a team to come out ahead in Round 9, putting the Air Force in a must-win
situation during the final game of the tournament between SrA Michael Bruns
and AM1(AW) Jorge Balares. Balares only needed to draw to secure clear
first for the Navy team, but Bruns came through in fine style for his
service and won a tough king & pawns endgame.

The following players will be representing the United States at the NATO
Chess Championships this year:

PN1(SW) Narcisso Victoria, USN
SSgt Robert Keough, USAF
SrA Michael Bruns, USAF
TSgt Dan Ranario, USAF
Maj David Hater, USA
MSgt James Adkins, USMC

Based on the play of ALL the players on the U.S. team at the Interservice,
this year's line-up for NATO seems to be the strongest team we've sent in a
long while. I think the U.S. will definitely be contendahs this year at
NATO -- they certainly are all forces to be reckoned with.

BTW, does anyone know the last time the Navy won (or tied for first) at the
Interservice? (One of my teammates seems to think it's been a dozen years
or more.) However long it's been, I'm certainly glad I was able to
contribute to the Navy's co-championship with the always-tough Air Force
team. Four points isn't a whole helluva lot, but +3 -4 =2 in a field as
strong as this one (including a draw vs. a 2039) is a personal best for me.
If anyone's interested, here's the game I'm most proud of, played in the 8th
round:

PN1(SW) Matt Nemmers (1627) vs. Maj Mike Cerezo (1849)
Sicilian Defense, Grand Prix Attack

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 d6 3.f4 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6 5.Be2 Nc6 6.O-O g6 7.d4 cxd4
8.Nxd4 Bg7 9.Be3 Nxd4 10.Bxd4 O-O 11.f5 Nd7 12.Bc4 Bxd4+ 13.Qxd4 Qb6
14.Qxb6 Nxb6 15.Bb3 Bd7 16.Rad1 Rac8 17.f6 Bg4 18.fxe7 Rfe8 19.Rxd6 Nc4
20.Rd8! Be6 21.Rfd1 f6 22.Rxc8 resigns 1-0

I played well for the most part, though my game against SSgt Nate Ola (USAF)
in the first round still makes me want to bash my head against a wall.
Nevertheless, I had a great time with all the great guys who push wood in
our military.

The rest of the games will be posted on the website I'm building very soon.
Go Navy!!

Regards,

Matt

Old June 27th 04, 07:15 PM
Doctor SBD

Great job Matt. Keep it up and you'll be the 2039 yourself soon!!!

It is also good to know there are "chess minds" in our military.

SBD
Old June 27th 04, 10:27 PM
John Fernandez

PN1(SW) Matt Nemmers (1627) vs. Maj Mike Cerezo (1849)
Sicilian Defense, Grand Prix Attack

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 d6 3.f4 Nf6 4.Nf3 a6 5.Be2 Nc6 6.O-O g6 7.d4 cxd4
8.Nxd4 Bg7 9.Be3 Nxd4 10.Bxd4 O-O 11.f5 Nd7 12.Bc4 Bxd4+ 13.Qxd4 Qb6
14.Qxb6 Nxb6 15.Bb3 Bd7 16.Rad1 Rac8 17.f6 Bg4 18.fxe7 Rfe8 19.Rxd6 Nc4
20.Rd8! Be6 21.Rfd1 f6 22.Rxc8 resigns 1-0

Niiiice.

I don't see anything wrong with any of your moves this game. You played
perfectly, and found the quickest route each time. Well done.

John Fernandez
Old June 27th 04, 11:12 PM
Tom Klem

It does do an old swabbie's heart proud.

Good show!

Tom Klem

news:[email protected]_s53...