Old June 28th 04, 12:37 AM
Neil Brennen

Default Bobby Fischer is the greatest and he is playing today

"PlentyMoreChess" wrote in message
ll.eu.org...
"EWOH27" wrote...
Smyslov was past his prime by then. Ostojic was an
IM (not GM) if I remember correctly, and I'm not sure about Ivkov.

I don't think I agree about Smyslov. He continued to play WC-class chess
until the 80's, making it to the candidates semifinals once during that
decade.

Ivkov was a GM

Amazing how far those who want to slander Bobby will go, I agree, EWOH27.
Smyslov is still considered an above-average GM in 2004,

This is the sentence that persuades me we are being trolled. Smyslov is
nearly blind, and in semi-retirement.

so to suggest he
was waning in early 1970 (Herceg Novi tournament date) is worse than
laughable. You are also right that Smyslov would have been a credible WC
candidate for 15 years after Herceg Novi (where Bobby, to the annoyance of
the Fischer-detractors, scored 90% in a field the majority which comprised
either WC players (Smyslov, Petrosian, Tal, and to-be Fischer), WC

finalist
(Reshevsky in the 1948 post-Alekhine WC tournament, Bronstein who drew a

WC
match, Korchnoi who would have won the WC if not for Soviet blackmailing

of
him over his family and trying to hypnotise him) or potential/actual WC
contender status (Hort, Matulovic,

Matulovic?? LOL!

Ivkov, Wolfgang Uhlmann) - and only one
other contestant.
So it is one of the strongest tournaments ever played - and Fischer won it
scoring over 86% or 91% if you allow for the errors where there was no

time
pressure.
Spassky (the reigning WC in 1970) was ordered by the Kremlin not to play

at
Herceg Novi (as they knew he would have been crushed).
Kasparov could not dream of such a performance. Fischer in the seventies
was incredibly stronger than Kasparov ever was or will be. And on the
evidence today Fischer at rapid time controls, as GM Short confirmed, is
still incredibly stronger than Kasparov (though "virtually a geriatric").

Troll, you were most amusing. The best Goran-parody yet!

Neil Brennen
Currently listening to:
J. S. Bach: Cantata #211, "Coffee Cantata"
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Lisa Otto;
Karl Forster/Berliner Philharmoniker