Old June 29th 04, 03:24 AM
Parrthenon

Default Vadim Milov Speaks Out On Racism !!

The following item is in Chess Life, July 2004, page 39 (Evans On Chess):

RELIGION

Michael Odell
Worcester, Massachusetts

Q. I was wondering about the religious beliefs and practices of some of the
great players. Could you fill us in on the religions (or lack thereof) of
Capablanca, Alekhine, Morphy, Fischer, Kasparov and other chess notables?

A. McFarland published JEWISH CHESS MASTERS ON STAMPS, a lavish 176 page
book by Felix Berkovich. Frankly I find references to religion or race
irrelevant, except when they impact political issues. For example, Florencio
Campomanes awarded the 1986 Chess Olympiad to Dubai (where an Israeli team was
excluded) by conniving with sheikhs in the United Arab Emirates to spend over
$1 million to get him elected to a second term as FIDE president. Campo, who is
still the "honorary" FIDE president also warned several journalists that it
might not be "healthy" to visit him in the Philippines.

If dictators like Qaddafi in Libya use chess to try and whitewash their
regimes, so be it. But if qualified players can't compete for religious reasons
that have no bearing on chess, then there’s a serious problem.
"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old June 30th 04, 12:30 PM
Ray Gordon

The chess "olympics" are a joke compared to the world title.

No individual suffers at not having to compete in them, even though it's
unfair.

--
"I ain't gonna play Sun City" and the world's best chessplayers should not
play Libya, which banned the Israeli players from competing. Shame on the

Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

http://www.cybersheet.com/6/ubb.x
The Seduction Library Forum

Old June 30th 04, 12:52 PM
Parrthenon

STATEMENT FROM DON SCHULTZ, LONGTIME USCF DELEGATE TO FIDE

My reason for having a no confidence vote on Ilyumzhinov is that putting the
world championship in Libya violates the very clear and explicit FIDE
regulation stating that no FIDE events will be held in any country that does
not grant entry to eligible participants from all FIDE member nations. Having a
section in Malta clearly does not meet that criteria just as having the
Israelis play their matches in a ship off the UAE coast was unsatisfactory in
1986 and you can quote me on this.

that Gadaffi’s son told the AP: "We did not invite nor will we invite the
Zionist enemy to the competition."

Also see Libyan Fiasco

http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/Eng...ans/040607.php