Old June 30th 04, 05:34 PM
Doctor SBD

Default Book monkey

Richard P. contests Matt's assertion that there is an 1100 in his club who
knows MCO inside and out. I do not doubt Matt, as I have seen such people.
Simply, he knows openings up to move 10-15, etc., but has no idea what to do
with the resulting position.

When young, I was leaning toward becoming a book monkey myself. Once against
Judge George Leighton in Chicago, I just barely won 1. e4 c5 2. c3 d5 3. exd
Qxd5 4. d4 cxd 4. cxd Nc6 5. Nf3 Bg4 6. Nc3 Qd7? 7. d5, since he was a better
player at that time.

But I gave up memorizing openings when, one summer at the age of 18 or so, I
lost to a fellow A player (and I did not like this guy) after winning 2 pawns
in the opening. I lost the *ending* by giving back one pawn and zugzwanging
myself.

I spent all my free time that summer studying BCE.

But those people are out there. For example, in one club I was in there was a
1300 book monkey and a 1300 who had never read a chess book and probably never
will. He got there just by playing. Their games were the most interesting
pieces of **** I have ever seen. But guess who usually won?

SBD