Old July 2nd 04, 06:45 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default Life member fee?

Fast forward to 2007.

Thanks to the efforts of hard-working volunteers, USCF is once again on
sound financial footing, albeit at much smaller scale. However nobody is
able to stem the loss of full-paying adult members. Modest increases in
discount membership dues are not enough to reverse the trend of (once again)
falling revenues.

At this point USCF institutes a "Life Member Fee" of some sort.

Years ago, The American Contract Bridge League didn't charge dues to its
life masters. But in order to keep members the League felt it had to give
away masterpoints at such a clip that soon almost anyone who played long
enough became a life master. (Bridge has cumulative points, not dynamic
ratings). So what did ACBL do? It instituted a Life Master fee, which oddly
enough is the same as the membership dues. Nobody sued.

From USCF's point of view LMs are nothing but a liability. We save money on
each and every one who drops out. So soon after announcing the inevitable LM
fee those in charge will beat their breasts about how successfully the plan
worked. "We saved $147,000 in this quarter alone!!"

And about six months thereafter, someone from Nebraska will provide a
spreadsheet explaining how even though only 11.5379% of LMs sent in their
fee, there was only a negligible dropoff in games rated.

So you see, we really didn't need those jerks who sent in $1000 for life
membership.