Old July 6th 04, 02:57 AM
The Masked Bishop

Default kill the rag

The magazine has become so embarassingly awful that it's hard to
justify forcing it on members. Better to just kill the wimpering beast
now, retool it as a Net newsletter, and offer one universal membership
fee for OTB ratings and website access.

That's right, sports fans, ONE RATE. No kid rate, no blind rate, no
senior rate, no prison rate, no "I've fallen and I can't get up" rate,
no family rate, no "feed the starving grandmaster" rate, just ONE
ANNUAL FEE to be OTB rated and have access to the website, which would
be the central resource for TLAs, crosstables, and articles on amateur
happenings. If you're still reading Chess Life for endgame tips or
opening analysis, find another hobby--you've missed the boat.

Make it a mantra: forget the magazine. It died when Pehme took it
over. Anyone who hasn't noticed either isn't reading it, is
functionally illiterate, or has such debased expectations on what
journalism means that they won't notice when it's gone.

TMB
Old July 6th 04, 03:53 AM
StanB

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message
om...

Make it a mantra: forget the magazine. It died when Pehme took it
over. Anyone who hasn't noticed either isn't reading it, is
functionally illiterate, or has such debased expectations on what
journalism means that they won't notice when it's gone.

I kinda liked this month's issue. Is it any more timely then it was?

Old July 6th 04, 05:42 AM
Matt Nemmers

[...]

TMB: Professional Cynic.

I love it.

Regards,

Matt

Old July 6th 04, 07:42 AM
Angelo DePalma

The magazine does indeed suck, but it will get better. Within a few days our
USCF will make an announcement that will silence even the most hardened
cynics. I believe USCF is turning around. Forget the past, focus on the
present.

adp

news:[email protected]_s51...

Old July 6th 04, 07:22 PM
ASCACHESS

The magazine does indeed suck, but it will get better. Within a few days our
USCF will make an announcement that will silence even the most hardened
cynics. I believe USCF is turning around. Forget the past, focus on the
present.

adp

Pamela Anderson is becoming our fulltime chess hostess?
I can see adult male memberships rising.

Old July 6th 04, 07:36 PM
Doctor SBD

You can't kill what is already dead.

The most widely circulated chess magazine in the smallest room in your house.

SBD
Old July 7th 04, 01:27 AM
The Masked Bishop

I kinda liked this month's issue

Sure Stan. Here's a scenario for ya: you're out on a lifeboat, with a
few other people, drifting lost at sea, with nothing to eat but rancid
food garbage and a dead rat. Your party plays survivor and deftly eats
everything available, hoping for rescue. Afterwards, all of you
belching and gassy, the guy next to you says "man, that was the worst
meal I've ever had." You reply: "I kinda liked the rat."

Point: some people will always find something to be pleased with, no
matter how awful things really are. That's noble, it really is, but it
doesn't change the fact that Chess Life is a terrible magazine and
basically an excuse to fleece membership of close to $50 a year.

As for timeliness, after trying to wade through yet another incredibly
dense leading article filled with babble on a topic no-one cares
about, I gave up. I suppose it's a blessing that Kalev has stopped
airing his private fetishes about women in chess, but that's too
little too late.
Old July 7th 04, 01:30 AM
The Masked Bishop

Within a few days ourUSCF will make an announcement that will silence
even the most hardened cynics.

Let me guess...they're going to publish all of John McCrary's "History
of the USCF" articles in one handsomely-bound volume, to be available
for the Christmas rush?

I think you've set yourself up on this one, Angelo. Short of
announcing a doubling in adult membership combined with a reduction in
dues, there's not much that's going to silence the most hardened
cynics.
Old July 7th 04, 04:19 AM
Parrthenon

Getting rid of the print version of CHESS LIFE is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

Apart from putting out a magazine and rating games, what else is the USCF good
for?
"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old July 7th 04, 05:14 AM
Angelo DePalma

This is what I heard:

Free roast beef sandwiches with gravy at all tournaments!
Bill Goichberg Dry-Cleans is Sweater-Vest!!!
USCF Pays YOU to join!!
Congratulations! You're now a Master (IM, GM, World Champion, etc.)!!
Thirteen Page Pamphlet Explains Secret Russian Training Secrets!!! Only
$12.95!!!
John Ashcroft Spits on, Tears Up Bobby Fischer Indictment!!!
WMDs, Plan to Use them on Topeka, Uncovered in Iraq!!!

Good enough?

Ptshaw, we don't need a doubling of adult membership or a dues reduction,
and maybe there's no reaching the worst cynics. I don't know about you but
all I need is an honest turn-around so I can play tournament chess at a
reasonable level and not worry about chess politics for the remainder of my
days.

adp

"The Masked Bishop" wrote