Old July 6th 04, 10:08 PM
Ivan

Default Is Michael Adams still from England?

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?
Old July 6th 04, 10:26 PM
Eamon Warnock

"Ivan" wrote in message
om

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

Different from what??

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

er...England?

Ae you from USA and do you know the difference between England and
Britain?

(That's called a yes-and-no question.) :-D

Old July 6th 04, 10:27 PM
Eamon Warnock

"Ivan" wrote in message
om

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

Different from what??

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

er...England?

Are you from USA and do you know the difference between England and

Old July 6th 04, 10:46 PM
John Fernandez

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

Uh, England.

John Fernandez
Old July 6th 04, 10:57 PM
Chess One

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

Ivan, I first thought it was possibly a Cornish one which would be a
cultural emphasis rather than a political one. However, on looking at the
photograph I see that it is the flag of St. George of England. Cordially,
Phil

Old July 7th 04, 01:17 AM
Chris Cowley

On 6 Jul 2004 14:08:16 -0700, (Ivan) wrote:

It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England but how come
they are using a different country's flag:

http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

England.
--
Chris Cowley
Old July 7th 04, 04:30 AM
Nick

(Ivan) wrote:
It says on site that GM Michael Adams is from England

GM Nigel Short (of England) resides in Greece.

Here's an article, "I'm English, but what does that mean?",
by Anthony Andrew for 'The Guardian' (30 June 2004):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...250307,00.html

"So much so, in fact, that you could argue that the defining characteristic
of being English is to be in a state of confusion about what it means to be
English. The modern English identity, we might conclude, is an identity crisis.
But mostly you hear the words ('the American people') because America,
for all its gaping divisions and latent hatreds, loves America.
After just a few days (in the United States), I felt suffocated by the
certainty and enforced inclusiveness of 'the American people' (though,
of course, the phrase excluded me). I longed for doubt. Like love,
doubt is a feeling that can only be fully appreciated in its absence.

There may be no clear definition of the English people--after all, you rarely
hear the phrase--but that, I think, is one of our most attractive qualities.
When I returned to London, the streets were full of St George's crosses--which
commemorate, in true English style, a mythical Turk--but I was not fooled.
The sense of irony and burlesque safely won out over jingoism and seriousness.
It was, in short, a relief to be home in England where, as an American once
wrote, my heart lies."

--Andrew Anthony (30 June 2004, 'The Guardian')

but how come they are using a different country's flag:
http://wcclibya2004.com/news/f1/02.jpg

What country is that flag from?

England. England is only one of the nations referred to by the 4NCL.

After England's Harriet Hunt won the World Junior Championship, she
was slightly discomfitted, she said, to find herself standing under
the Union Jack while 'God Save the Queen' was played in her honour. :-)

Could a nightingale sing in Berkeley Square when there's no one about
in the Quad? :-)

--Nick
Old July 7th 04, 05:22 AM
Angelo DePalma

It is kind of weird to see the flag of England instead of the more common
Union Jack.

Cornwall's flag has the same pattern but it's a white cross on a black
background. Guess they're in mourning over the fact that the last Cornish
speaking person died in 1978.

om...

Old July 7th 04, 05:25 AM
PBusw13724

It used to be the case that English players in international chess tournaments
played under the the Union flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain &
Northern Ireland, i.e. the flag popularly known as the Union Jack.

The shift to present usage, of St. George's Cross, took place in the early 80s,
perhaps late 70s, I misremember exactly when. As I recall - and I am open to
correction - it was the general mood of English players at the time, albeit not
unanimous.

Michael Adams is fron the county of Cornwall, and Mr Innes may wish to note
that a Cornish player at the Hastings International Chess Congress did play
under the Cornish flag.

Paul Buswell
Old July 7th 04, 10:43 AM
Jon Levitt

The flag is English enough but judging by the press coverage in the UK you'd
think Mickey was from somewhere else.

--
Jonathan Levitt

Homepage: