Old July 8th 04, 06:45 AM
Miriling

Default Time to rate the USCF executive directors

During the past 50 odd years, the USCF has had a dozen executive directors. The
first three EDs were actually called "business managers." It wasn't until the
advent of Ed Edmondson that the term "executive director " came into use. For
those USCF members with long-term memories, such as Sam Sloan, and others, who
have not been involved with the federation that long, how about rating the EDs?
My own memories go back to the very first business manager the USCF had. Now
it's time to rate them.
10 = best, 1 = worst
Don't try to rate any ED about whom you have no knowledge. Be as honest as you
can and give your rating - from 1 to 10 - on those EDs you know really
something about.
Here's the cast of characters:

1953-1960: Kenneth Harkness
1960-1961: Frank Brady
1962-1963: Joseph Reinhardt
1965-1976: Ed Edmondson
1977-1978: Martin Morrison
1978-1978: Richard Meyerson
1979-1987: Gerald Dullea
1988-1996: Al Lawrence
1997-1999: Mike Cavallo
2000-2002: George DeFeis
2002-2003: Frank Niro
January 2004-present: Bill Goichberg

George Mirijanian
Old July 8th 04, 07:38 AM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Miriling says...

[...]

Do any deserve above a C?

Kevin L. Bachler

Old July 8th 04, 11:25 AM

On 08 Jul 2004 05:45:23 GMT, (Miriling) wrote:

[...]

I rate Kenneth Harkness very high, an A++ because when he was there
the USCF has very small and had no money but he had big plans for the
expansion of chess. Almost everything we do today had its origins with
Harkness. At the awards banquet at the 1959 US Open in Ohama, Glen
Hartleb said, "Harkness was not be able to do everything he wanted to
do, because if he had been able to do eveything he wanted to do, we
would all be millionaires."

Frank Brady is entitled to high marks because he established Chess
Life magazine. He had big plans for the federation which were cut
short when he was fired for writing an editorial in Chess Life
magazine criticizing Mrs. Piatagorsky in the Fischer-Reshevsky Match
dispute.

I met Joe Reinhardt but do not know much about him, but your dates are
off because he was still in the USCF office in 1964.

Ed Edmondson deserves high marks because he was also a big thinker. He
made Bobby Fischer the World Chess Champion. Without Ed Edmondson,
Fischer would never have been able to play a match for the world
title.

Everybody rates Martin Morrison as a very poor Executive Director.

I never even heard of Richard Meyerson.

The jury is still out on the others. Too recent. However, George
DeFeis is by far the worst of all. He had no interest in chess and
nearly destroyed the federation. I think we should sue him.

Old July 8th 04, 11:56 AM
GrantPerks

Do any deserve above a C?

Kevin L. Bachler

Is it on a curve?

Grant Perks

Old July 8th 04, 12:45 PM
StanB

"Miriling" wrote in message

1953-1960: Kenneth Harkness
1960-1961: Frank Brady
1962-1963: Joseph Reinhardt
1965-1976: Ed Edmondson
1977-1978: Martin Morrison
1978-1978: Richard Meyerson
1979-1987: Gerald Dullea
1988-1996: Al Lawrence
1997-1999: Mike Cavallo
2000-2002: George DeFeis
2002-2003: Frank Niro
January 2004-present: Bill Goichberg

You forgot:

2002 Gerald Dullea
2003 Mike Nolan
2003 Grant Perks
2003 Wm. Goichberg

Old July 8th 04, 01:13 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , GrantPerks says...

Do any deserve above a C?

Kevin L. Bachler

Is it on a curve?

Grant Perks

LOL!

Kevin L. Bachler

Old July 8th 04, 03:28 PM
Bill Smythe

"Miriling" wrote:
__________________________

1953-1960: Kenneth Harkness

10. Anybody who can write the first major rulebook the way he did, has to
be pretty good.
__________________________

1965-1976: Ed Edmondson

10. I personally observed him in action during the Fischer summer of 1972.
He was great on both the "visionary" and "technical" sides.
__________________________

1977-1978: Martin Morrison

5. Great technically, but not so strong a leader.
__________________________

1979-1987: Gerald Dullea

7. Seemed excellent at the time, but ended up with a fat severance
agreement (if I am not mistaken) after talks with Harold Winston and various
lawyers. Lawyers make me suspicious.
__________________________

1988-1996: Al Lawrence

9. Seemed on top of things, but may have allowed his friends a bit too much
free reign over his non-friends, and also left (I believe) with hefty
severance compensation.
__________________________

1997-1999: Mike Cavallo

4. His heart was in the right place, but just couldn't get the job done.
__________________________

2000-2002: George DeFeis

2. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose, but let's not go
out on tangents.
__________________________

2002-2003: Frank Niro

7. Slid from 10 at first to 4 at the end, because of some expensive secret
contracts.
__________________________

January 2004-present: Bill Goichberg

10. Too early to tell for sure, but seems on the right track with a lot of
support from the current EB. More "technical" than "visionary" in his
current role, even though his own career cries aloud for the latter
description.

Bill Smythe

Old July 8th 04, 03:55 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , Bill Smythe says...

"Miriling" wrote:

[...]

Bill,

Your ratings confirm one of USCF's major problems. Our standards are too low.

Kevin L. Bachler